89.3% Apparent Attenuation with Bavarian Lager Yeast...Ask me how

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptYesterday

Reaction score
So back in June (6/21) I brewed Jamil's Oktoberfest from Brewing Classic Styles. I began with 5.5 gallons at 1.056 and pitched the decanted remains of a 1 gal starter of Wyeast 2206. After fermenting for 2 weeks at 50 F (did the modified Narziss where I chilled it to 40 and racked into another carboy) it had a gravity of 1.030.

At this point I decided to wait a few more days to see if the gravity got any lower. It did not, so on July 9th ( a Thursday, and this is important) I moved the carboy from the fridge to a swamp cooler for a diacetyl rest where I raised the temp t 65 F.

Shortly thereafter I was encouraged to travel 6 hours away for the weekend to see some friends I had not seen since graduation in May. I tossed one last 2 liter of ice into the swamp cooler and said a quick prayer, then left on Friday.

When I returned on Sunday evening then aquarium temp strip on the carboy read 82 F and in all likelihood was several degrees higher than that. So, I sanitized my wine thief and discovered that my gravity during the course of a 4 day diacetyl rest had dropped an amazing 24 points, leaving me with a final gravity of 1.006 and an apparent attenuation of 89%.

So, the lesson is...

Don't leave town for 4 days during July while your beer is at the mercy of ambient temperatures.

I bottled it tonight after a 2 month lagering period. It was thin and dry on the tongue so I wound up adding some Maltodextrin during bottling. Here's hoping that adds some mouthfeel back to this beer. Rant over, and my sixer of Lagunitas IPA is almost over as well. :drunk:

Back