Need advice on grain purchase

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Where should I buy/mill my grain?

• LHBS @ $60/sack, use their mill guilt free

• Wholesaler @ $42/sack, use LHBS mill and feel guilty

• Use LHBS mill guilt free regardless of where you buy

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ksosh

Reaction score
So I'm looking to buy 50-100 lbs of 2-row grain. I'm facing a decision, and would like the HBT community's advice.

The LHBS (about 15 mins away) has the 50lb sacks for $60, but a nearby wholesaler (2.5 hours away) can get me them for $42 shipped to my door.

However, I don't have a grain mill, and probably can't talk SWMBO into letting me get one for a while. The LHBS has a grain mill that people can use and/or they'll do it if not busy.

So, do I:
1. Buy the LHBS's grain with the ~%50 markup and use their mill guilt free

2. Buy the wholesaler's much cheaper grain, use the LHBS's mill with a little bit of guilt, but try and buy the specialty grains and such at LHBS when I can.

As an aside, I'm all for supporting the LHBSs when possible, but I'm having a hard time justifying the 50% markup on this specific item...

Thoughts?

if you get a corona mill that is hardly more than the difference between the lhbs and the wholesaler. So I say buy from the wholesale place and get a corona mill.

Either get a corona mill or DIY one out of a pasta roller for about $30. To me it is kind of a *****ey to buy cheap grain somewhere and take advantage of their free service. Personally I think the sack prices are a little high (every LHBS around here is $45 for 2-row) but they still have to make money somehow. If you don't want to spend money on a mill then suck it up and pay the higher price. Or contact a brewer around you and see if you can borrow a mill.

If you are going to be buying bulk grain from now on a mill is really a must have.

if you get a corona mill that is hardly more than the difference between the lhbs and the wholesaler. So I say buy from the wholesale place and get a corona mill.

Hmmm, I could probably swing ~$50 for that mill...

So I'm looking to buy 50-100 lbs of 2-row grain. I'm facing a decision, and would like the HBT community's advice.

The LHBS (about 15 mins away) has the 50lb sacks for $60, but a nearby wholesaler (2.5 hours away) can get me them for $42 shipped to my door.

However, I don't have a grain mill, and probably can't talk SWMBO into letting me get one for a while. The LHBS has a grain mill that people can use and/or they'll do it if not busy.

So, do I:
1. Buy the LHBS's grain with the ~%50 markup and use their mill guilt free

2. Buy the wholesaler's much cheaper grain, use the LHBS's mill with a little bit of guilt, but try and buy the specialty grains and such at LHBS when I can.

As an aside, I'm all for supporting the LHBSs when possible, but I'm having a hard time justifying the 50% markup on this specific item...

Thoughts?

I would say you have 2 options:

1) Buy from your local guy and use his mill. It'll keep your shop alive (how bad off would you be if he went under) and you'll develop a relationship with the guy.

2) Buy wholesale and use the savings over time to pay for a mill.

In my personal system of morals the option of buying form a wholesaler and then using the mill of the local shop is not an option.

As for your choice between option 1 and 2 I think it would depend on how poor you are. If you're poor, go option 2. If your not poor but perhaps cheap, then think seriously about sucking it up and going for option 1. Price, as the only decider is what kills LHBS shops (and other small shops) and replaces them with the Walmarts of the world. Consider the extra couple dollars insurance for you against loosing your local shop as well as a donation to his business. I mean, owning a LHBS store is someone's dream (and hard work) worth suppoerting right?

Just my 3c (or 2c if the opinion was mail ordered) on your question.
BrewOnBoard:mug:

Option #3 - Ask the LHBS owner about giving you a discount. Tell him your dilemma and see what he says. Maybe he is not getting a good price when he buys and therefore is forced to charge more to his customer. If he is a good business person he will see some benefit to having informed customers. He will come to realize that maybe he does not make much on the bulk grain but you are buying other stuff from him so he wins.

Option #2 - You should be immediately shot when caught performing this act.

Alright, I've ordered an intro level grain mill (Grizzly H7775) so I don't have to 'mooch' off of the LHBS. I'm still going to buy my yeast, specialty grains/hops, and misc stuff from them of course. I'm all for local profits and supporting people's dreams, buy paying 50% more on a basic item like 2-row is just too hard to swallow on a regular basis.

Alright, I've ordered an intro level grain mill (Grizzly H7775) so I don't have to 'mooch' off of the LHBS. I'm still going to buy my yeast, specialty grains/hops, and misc stuff from them of course. I'm all for local profits and supporting people's dreams, buy paying 50% more on a basic item like 2-row is just too hard to swallow on a regular basis.

Sounds like a sane decision. Happy brewing :mug:

BoB

Latest posts

Back