Deep Six Brewing System - v3.0

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This thread is to be dedicated to v3.0 of my brewing system. My intent is to bring my brewery up to 1BBL. It will take me several months to get there as my boys and I are still dislocated due to the flood that occurred last April, but thanks to the awesome BrewPastor, I've taken a MAJOR step forward with the project.

Behold my new HLT, Mashtun and Boil Kettle!

IMG00182.jpg

IMG00183.jpg

They just showed up today and are in great shape. I don't even know exactly how big the smaller two are, but they are at least 75~80 gallons each.

Sharpsville tanks! We get those full of solvents at work. Be careful with where you got them from.

Just got an email auto Ping about a new post to this thread which I had subscribed to a year ago, but no joy, just someone else sub'ing it too. As I was curious, I just checked out John Beere's profile of posts, it seems his latest was 07-07-2013, 01:24 PM, but his last activity was 01-27-2014 1:26 PM. Any idea as to why he seems to not post here any more? Life get in the way? He was quite a guy, had great ideas and was very knowledgeable in his setting up the automatic brewing systems.

I saw one of those large kegs the other day when I was sitting in a McDonald's drive-thru. It was in the back of a McDonald's semi-truck with a long hose running from the keg to the inside of the restaurant. It couldn't tell what was running through the hose... my thought is hot grease? or maybe its a big cola syrup container?

Big cola syrup is right! I'm a GM for McD's and we get Coke in 75 gallon increments... Believe me - the sophistication of the soda system makes me wish things would break so I could salvage them for my own devious uses...

Sharpsville tanks! We get those full of solvents at work. Be careful with where you got them from.
I'll 2nd your concern, from what I discovered yesterday. I looked at those and thought Cool, maybe I could find a screaming deal on something like that for a mega brew setup sometime down the road (it's not like they would go bad sitting around till I got around to it). You mentioned Sharpsville, so I Googled them, called them up, and talked to a person at their company about seeing if they ever have any factory 2nds. He wasn't sure which style I was talking about, so I emailed him a link to this thread.

He said yes, he recognized them & they did make them. He said that they were commonly used for chemical transport, and was quite concerned about using them for food purposes, seeing as they appeared to have been previously used. I told him I would mention the concern here, just to make everyone aware of it. He didn't have any 2nds available, and said that new, they were around 6k! Wow. Who knew. Just wanted to pass it on in case others find similar kegs out there, to be SURE of their history before using them to brew in.

Not to sound foolish here, but regardless of what was in it, ( say , solvents), is the concern that it could not be cleaned good enough?

I work with metals for a living, and have not heard of not being able to remove such chemicals from metals.

Don't know of any that might be porous, 'cept for possibly some cast metals.

The effects of acids, maybe, and mercury, DEFINITELY , but paints and solvents.

I would probably be more concerned of the alloy, it's chromium content, and the "leachability" of it, depending on how it was used.

Throwing this out for discussion, that's all.

Hell, we've talked about Bull semen tanks as fermenters......

Not to sound foolish here, but regardless of what was in it, ( say , solvents), is the concern that it could not be cleaned good enough?

I work with metals for a living, and have not heard of not being able to remove such chemicals from metals.

Don't know of any that might be porous, 'cept for possibly some cast metals.

The effects of acids, maybe, and mercury, DEFINITELY , but paints and solvents.

I would probably be more concerned of the alloy, it's chromium content, and the "leachability" of it, depending on how it was used.

Throwing this out for discussion, that's all.

Hell, we've talked about Bull semen tanks as fermenters......

Agreed. Stainless (304) transportation vessels are designed for multiple roles. Used to haul items for human consumption in one direction & then chemicals that can could kill you on a back haul.

The cleaning & sterilization between products is what is important.

304L is designed for such purposes & will not leach any of the base elements of the alloy into the product it is containing. Primarily iron, chrome (18%), & nickel (8%).

Back