Nothing is happening

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fattony911

Reaction score
Well i started my first brew yesterday and everything was going according to plan until i decided to start to warm up my yeast so i did in luke warm water and nothing really happened it was uncovered for about 30 min until i remebered to cover it. Then i left it out over night not thinking it would take so long for the wort to come back up from the cold temperature. So i wasn't sure if it was dead or not so i waited until the wort was to temp and pitched it shook it forever and waited about 30 mins still shook it and im not really getting a continuous bubble. Thats all the yeast i ahve and there are no brew stores around me i would ahve to use regular yeast if i wanted to try adding some more would this work. Oh and whenever i shake it sometimes bubbles will come out but then stop after about 2 mins. and when i press on the lid lightly bubbles come out but im just worried i messed up the yeast aprt.. PLEASE HELP!! :confused:

What are you trying to make? What yeast did you use? What temp was the wort when you pitched it?

Patience works best. It'll probably take off this evening. My Kolsch took 27 hours before it took off.

I'm confused by this:

"for the wort to come back up from the cold temperature"

Actually, I'm confused about a lot. Did you start brewing yesterday, and just pitch today? Did you put the wort in a cool location overnight, like in the fridge? I'm confused about your process...

haha first off i used coopers draught with the yeast that it came with. My process was boil 2 gallons then have 2 gallons frozen in my fermentor then slowly add the wort however i thought it would melt a lot faster but didn't finish melting until today I pitched yeast at around 78 F and then added 1 more gallon to sort of airate it. But if you can understand the wort had some frozen "icebergs" still in it and was too cold to pitch the yeast so i capped it and left it in my kitchen overnight where when i woke up it had condensation around it so i sort of new it was gonna still be too cold to pitch. So i awaited until it became the right temp so when it was 78 i pitched it and added the alst gallon of water and capped it and put on the airlock and brought it inside to my 70 degree house and stored it in my closet where i shook it for a good while. thanks-Alex

Also one more thing, does the color of the wort change after a while because i was hoping on getting a more golden color and instead gota very dark blackish brown carmel color will it turn gold after the aging and what not. Thanks-Alex balke

The color will change with time. I am told that the dark coloration is somewhat of an optical illusion in the carboy. I have never heard of adding the wort to frozen water before...but my two cents is that you should wait about 2 days before worrying about your yeast...sometimes it just takes a little while, especially in colder temperatures. Good luck bro

You said you "warmed up the yeast" exactly how warm did you get it? If you "warm" it up too much, you kill it.
More than likely your batch is fine, just sluggish because of how you "chilled" the wort. I'd never heard of using ice either. Most recipies I've researched call for pitching the yeast at about 80 degrees F. Anything colder, or if the wort is kept colder, fermintation takes a lot longer (some times weeks). Most recipie kits tell you to wait from 8 to 36 hours before you see a lot of activity. So try waiting until the 36 hours is up before you panic.

yeah you guys were right im getting about a bubble every second and a half now, guess i just started freakin out. Oh well thanks guys also one last question how long do i let it ferment?

wait i jsut read nothing about what the glass carboy will be used for. Right now its in the primay(plastic bucket) it said to wait to weeks in that fermentor then bottle is the carboy just for show lol i hope not can someone shed some light as to when i should transfer. All i really ahve to worry about now is that darn hurrican hitting and having the power go out on my brew that would be terrifying for my first brew. :(

You rack (siphon) into the carboy when major fermentation is over, about a week usually. Put it in the carboy, place the airlock on and let it sit for a couple of weeks in a cool dark place. Cover it with a towel or blanket if you have to. Then rack into a bottling bucket and bottle that stuff!

Patience is the best trait a homebrewer can have. It's also the most difficult part of all this!

Lorena

lorenae said:
You rack (siphon) into the carboy when major fermentation is over, about a week usually. Put it in the carboy, place the airlock on and let it sit for a couple of weeks in a cool dark place. Cover it with a towel or blanket if you have to. Then rack into a bottling bucket and bottle that stuff!

Patience is the best trait a homebrewer can have. It's also the most difficult part of all this!

Lorena
alright thanks how long should i leave it in the carboy? about 2 weeks Thanks-Alex

1 week in primary, 2 weeks in secondary, 3 weeks in the bottle.

I suggest you spend some time ready Palmer's How to Brew website. He makes the process very easy to understand.

yeah i already read it I didn't see specific times in there though but its not a problem cause you guys gave em to me.

One of the things you'll learn is that there are no hard and fast timelines. The 1-2-3 times is generally a good guideline to follow.

Back