smokin ribs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a quick bit of advice...

Keep your lid closed. Avoid the temptation to "check on things" every 15 minutes. Every time you open that lid you lose heat and add time.

Yup, the way I do it now I keep it closed the first 2 hours at least then I need to start adding more coals. I also give it a spray with some apple cider vinegar.

I typically smoke them for a few hours then I move the ribs to foil and add cider, butter and brown sugar for the last hour. I'll add a little of the cider to the ACV and see how it goes.

This is how we make them in Canada!

mesquitesmokeddryrubbabybackribs.jpg

Cooked em on a two burner propane bbq. One burner only, as low as will stay lit. Presoaked wood chips in a foil pouch between the grill and the lavarocks over the low flames. (this blocks direct heat to the meat - and putting the pouch under the grill maximizes grill space.)

Dry rub includes paprika which give that nice red colour.

So I got my side firebox for x-mas and did a "true" smoke this time. I threw the smoke then foil method out the window and was very happy with the results. My brother gave me some seasoned cherry to smoke with and i put a pan of the fat\apple juice (mixed with some water) mixture from last time I did some ribs in the foil in the smoker as a water pan. 3 hours at 225 then 2 hours at 250-275. Didnt open the lid the first 3 hours (man that was tough!)

Next time I will remember to take the membrane off...other than that I dont think I'll do anything different...

ribs_003.jpg

ribs_006.jpg

Back