Hello from Utah!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjayzzone

Reaction score
I'm new to brewing. I've brewed three extract batches thus far, and want to move into all grain. I'm from Payson, Utah, and would like to find other brewers in my area to meet up with, learn from, and have a nice beer with.

The first beer I brewed was a weizen, which came out good, except I messed up with the hops. Being a noob, I forgot that one of the two bags of hops were finishing hops. Boiled both of them for the full hour. Everyone who tried the beer thought it tasted great, but I had a problem with the aftertaste. I bottled this batch.

Number two was a bohemian Pilsner. I lagered this for about a month and a half, half the time at about 50 degrees, and the other half at about 38 degrees. It probably could have used some more time, but tasted great on tap. I kegged this one.

The third is in the primary right now. It is a maibock. Man it smells great. After a day at room temperature, it didn't look like it was fermenting....guess what I did. I spun it a bit. That B@stard overflowed for a half hour! I learned that day that just because it doesn't look like it's fermenting, it doesn't mean that it's not. Lost about a beer out of it...not bad. It is now fermenting at 50 degrees. Like I said, smells awesome!

So, two stupid mistakes on my first three batches. Is that so bad? lol.

I'm building a mash tun now. I guess we'll see how badly I can F up an all grain beer, eh?

Jason

Welcome! I live in downtown SLC. Be sure to join the Utah Brewers group here on the site -- the group link is up at the top of the page.

I forgot to change my userCP to send me notifications upon replies to this thread....so I just barely wandered back in! Thanks for the warm welcomes, all!

Hey all! Glad to join all the rest of you homebrewers living in Utah. I'm up here in Logan and have been brewing for about 3 years now. I happen to enjoy the gratuitous consumption of homebrew on a regular basis and because of my habit i am extremely motivated to brew often and learn as much as i can. I have learned quite a bit of brewing info in the last few years in relation to brewing in Utah; getting supplies close to home, local manufactures that make equipment that can be easily modified, and other items of interest. I will be glad to help anyone because i sure will be asking everyone every dumb question that anyone should know but doesnt know that he should know (that makes sense right?)
I have never followed any beer style guidelines but this is what i have in the works (closest comparison given) they are:
In primary-Thingymcjigaroo: An amberesque ale with a lotta hoppiness
In keg- a pale ale with wheaty overtones and a lotta hoppiness
Coming up-Gonna mix all my leftover ingredients and go, ill list what i have later but maybe a liquid yeast recomendation for my slurry?

Back