Brett Brux Trois Berliner Weiss

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeLindley

Reaction score
Has anybody tried a Berliner Weiss made using Brett Trois? Sour mash with Lacto for the sour, ferment with Brett Trois for the mango, passion fruit, pineapple?

Sounds like a fun/delicious beer, as long as your goal isn't to brew something that tastes like a classic Berliner.

I've got a berliner aging that had some Trois added to secondary after primary with Lacto and US-05. Should be time to bottle it soon.

I have a no boil Berliner sitting in a keg right now that I pitched the dregs of a Trois beer into. The beer tastes great, its dry and super tart (I used a handfull of grains for the Lacto instead of a commercial pitch) but the aroma is a bit off putting so I am hoping the trois cleans that up a little bit. I wont know for months but it has a nice pellicle on the surface at the moment.

Has anybody tried a Berliner Weiss made using Brett Trois? Sour mash with Lacto for the sour, ferment with Brett Trois for the mango, passion fruit, pineapple?

I'm planning to do this exact thing next summer. I think 100% Trois would make for a delicious and unique Berliner. I was thinking I'd age half of it on some actual mango to see how insane I can push that character.

About a year ago I brewed a Berliner Weisse with 100% Brett B. It came out great, but it tasted pretty similar to commercial Berliners I've had; there was definitely nothing marking it as a Brett beer. I think I have one or two bottles of it left, I should probably drink one soon to see if it's developed any more funk with time. Trois is much more aromatic and flavorful than B, in my experience, so I think it's absolutely worth trying.

Ditto with oldsock. Bottled some Berliner Weisse that had Brett Trois / WLP644 added at bottling last week. The brett is going hard as a mofo. Lots of chunky bits in the brett bottles. Just smooth nothingness in the plain bottles. The lacto didn't sour it too much, but the beer was exceptionally enjoyable. I couldn't resist and drank one of the non brett bottles last night.

I used 1007 in primary. Huge fan of that yeast. Not the least bit fussy and very clean.

I'm planning something similar:

Simple Berliner-esque grain bill, light hopping,
Primary with pure Lacto (WLP) culture (two to four weeks)
Rack to Secondary with Brett brux 'Trois' (not sure... two months?)

About a year ago I brewed a Berliner Weisse with 100% Brett B. It came out great, but it tasted pretty similar to commercial Berliners I've had; there was definitely nothing marking it as a Brett beer. I think I have one or two bottles of it left, I should probably drink one soon to see if it's developed any more funk with time. Trois is much more aromatic and flavorful than B, in my experience, so I think it's absolutely worth trying.

A 100% brett beer will not produce much funk. That is more prominant when brett is used as a secondary yeast.

Reopening this old thread. Thinking about doing a berliner fermented with WLP644 as the primary yeast. Just curious of everyones results. Appreciate the response!

Back