Reusing or Washing Yeast from Pumpkin Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mosquitocontrol

Reaction score
I love pumpkin ale. This will be my third batch since I've started brewing in September. I wanted to take the jump to liquid yeast so while buying ingredients for this batch I picked up a smack pack. It didn't pop into my head the amount of gunk of the bottom of the fermenter with pumpkin ale. I had all intentions of following the method for yeast washing in order to save some $.

Will this be impossible with a pumpkin ale due to the amount of trub and excess pumpkin at the bottom of the fermenter? If there is carryover pumpkin during yeast washing will it kill or ruin the yeast (assume I will only use the yeast for pumpkin ale in the future)?

If too much pumpkin gunk will ruin the potential for the yeast, could I get around it by only adding pumpkin to the secondary, rather than the primary? And then wash the yeast from the primary?

Actually, now I've confused myself. In washing do you use the bottoms of the primary or the secondary?

I appreciate any guidance you can give. As obviously I'm not as prepared as I thought I was!

I personally would not risk a whole new batch (time and money) on some seriously dirty yeast. I would rather pay for clean yeast than lose a whole batch. Nothing is more disheartening to your new hobby than having to dump a batch because you were trying to save $4.

Back