Blackberry Wine Question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turnerdude1

Reaction score
This summer a farmer wanted me to make some blackberry wine from his berries. Told him yeh, thinking it would be no more than five pounds. Well it was 50 lbs. and so I gave it 37 pounds of sugar and yeast and now have 15 gal of wine. Thing is he like it sweet, so will back sweeten his using the bottle sweetner that has the sorbate. Now have it in five gal jugs and the SG is .999. So the question is has anybody backweeten their wine using say 2 oz per gal of sweetner. If so what was your final reading SG reading. Have downloaded the wine cal so could just add sugar to taste, but adding the sweetner would be a lot easier...

Thanks

Turnerdude1

what I usually do to sweeten it is to use splenda. this is known as back sweetening because you are adding sugar after the fermentation. Splenda does not ferment, so you would not really need to stabilize your wine. I usually start with 1 cup in five gallons to test first. if you want to start with one cup of wine and scale it down. for example if 2 teaspoons taste good you know that the following:

16 cups to the gallon * 2 tea = 32 teaspoons per gallon or 2/3 of a cup ( there are 48 teaspoons in a cup)

you can do that way. or just slowly add it to your wine and taste until it tastes good. you can do that way too, just stir carefully and don't get too much oxygen in your wine or oxidization will occur. If you don't stir you will get half too sweet and the other half too dry for your tastes. you can always adjust and do different sweetness levels to see what you like best. 15 gallons will make about 75 bottles or so of the 750ml. how do the samples taste? I have never made blueberry before, so I don't really know a good SG to sweeten to.

Back