Centennial & Simcoe? or just one

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stever

Reaction score
I am going to brew Edworts haus pale ale this weekend since I got honey_do jacked last weekend. The recipe below calls for Cascades but I have a couple ounces of Centennial and Simcoe laying around and wanted to use one or both instead. So my question is should I just substitute Centennial or should I mix it up with a little Simcoe too. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

The original recipe:

8 lbs. 2-Row
2 lbs. Vienna
0.5 lb. Crystal 10L

1.0 oz Cascade 6.6% at 60 min.
0.5 oz. Cascade 6.6% at 30 min.
0.25 oz. Cascade 6.6% at 15 min.
0.25 oz. Cascade 6.6% at 5 min.

If you want it to be as close as possible to EdWort's recipe, just sub in the Centennial. That's what I'd do.

Of course if you like Simcoe, use some of that, too.

I figured since I was already going to bastardize it why not just go all out and add some simcoe. I didn't want it to be overpowering though since the original goal of Ed's beer is a nice easy drinking pale ale.

My Pale recipe is pretty similar to the recipe you posted there except I use less vienna and more of a darker crystal. I use 2oz of centennials in it and I love it. I don't know how close it would be to the one you have posted there, but it is very good.

Back