Using Draft Soda Dispenser for Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trinitone

Reaction score
While browsing Craigslist, I came across some listings for soda draft machines, a la:

Vantage.jpg

Would it be possible to use a machine like this for beer dispensing? Has anyone tried this? I just figured if we can use soda kegs to store the beer, we could use a soda dispenser to get it out.

I dont see why not. It is the same priciple. Make sure you use a 10 pound CO2 bottle. They are a bit more expensive, but will pay for themselves afeter a few fill ups (vs 5). The price on a fill here is only a buck twnety diffference 5 vs 10!

o2

a friend of my dads is going to do the same thing. he worked for pepsi as a tech so it should work fine.

I would imagine that because of the valving and the spout that the turbulance could pull the co2 out of solution and you'd have foaming and flatness issues.

Can't say that I know anyone who's tried it though, so I can't say for sure.

IF it is designed for kegs, no problem. Most soda systems today are syrup-based, so you would have a fair amount of work in modifying the dispenser, bypassing the mixing valves, etc.

I used to have to clean drink towers when I worked at a theater. The dispenser is not made like an open faucet like I believe beer taps are. It has a plastic bit in it with four or more holes that sprays the liquid against the sides of the downspout and makes the soda syrup mix well with the water and the result is "sparkly" soda in your cup. This might have a similar effect on beer as a sparkler on the end of a beer engine spout.

Yeah, I was going to say, I'm pretty sure most of those mix carbonated water with syrup, not sure how you would adapt that for beer...

You could always hook up pre hopped extract and carbonated water to it and have beer on the fly :)

I've actually been tempted to try and hook a keg up to the water dispenser on our fridge, how cool would that be...

I've actually been tempted to try and hook a keg up to the water dispenser on our fridge, how cool would that be...[/QUOTE]

Then you realized that the wife would not be to happy right!!!LOL

67coupe390 said:
I've actually been tempted to try and hook a keg up to the water dispenser on our fridge, how cool would that be...

Then you realized that the wife would not be to happy right!!!LOL

Eh, last time I mentioned it she said that would be awesome. She's my #1 homebrew consumer :)

Latest posts

Back