carbonation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerbelay

Reaction score
The beer I'm drinking right now is an snpa clone. Its been conditioning for 2.5 weeks. Some of the bottles are half carbonated and some of them have a great head that rides it out all the way to the bottom and leaves lace along the way (also has more carb). I put my priming solution at the bottom of my bottling bucket and then rack on to that. I know two weeks is a short time but... any ideas?

I have never had this problem and in Palmers book he says that the racking/ swirling should be adequate. It always has been. I was thinking that I might have funky caps or something but stir is what I will do from now on. Obvious solution and thanks.

I stir it again after the first case. I don't stir it hard enough to oxygenate it.

You will find many of the top people in brewing keg so much that their bottling skill leaves something to be desired.

A homogeneous solution is necessary for consistent carbonation. I've mixed paint colors and I know just pouring on another color will result in a mess without some serious stirring. The priming solution will stay at the bottom because it's heavy, like a black and tan. Stir, but don't oxygenate.

I have had this same problem and I do stir quite thoroughly. I use EZ Cap bottles so I maybe thought the seal might not be to good on some of them but if they are a sealed then I dont know whats going on. Maybe using a sugar / water solution just isnt consistent in conditioning.

My first batch ever did not get stirred, as I thought the racking onto it would be enough. It was so unevenly carbonated that I had to open 5-6 bottles at a time into one container to get something drinkable.

I have stirred every one since then and always get even carbonation. I also make sure to fill each bottle to the same level.

do they all have the same head space? if the beer has to little space between the cap and the liquid it wont carbonate enough, if it has too much space it will over carbonate.

It's probably in the stirring. Beer can settle quite quickly in large batches. This happened to a stout once; even after extensive aging, some bottles were almost flat while others nearly exploded on me. I began to gently stir the beer in the bucket about every twelve bottles, and there have been no problems since.

Back