Trouble with Poppets?????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GIusedtoBe

Reaction score
Anybody have any issues with leaks through the poppet valves on ball lock kegs? I have had numerous issues with this but I have never replaced any of the poppets. Do you think a simple replacement of these valves would solve the problem or do you think I may be doing something else wrong?

Thanks,
Al

Only once have I had to replace one, usually the tiniest smear of keg lube on the rubber seal will fix a leak.

Tell us more about the issues you're having, and we can probably be of more help. Remember, the poppets are out of the equation once the keg is hooked up.

I've only had one problem over the years and that was blackberry skin in the valve. Having many problems with poppets probably means you are doing something wrong. Poppets are easily jambed with small bits of hops, grain husks, or bits of fruit.

Thanks for the replies. I went through all of the kegs when I got them and the one most recently in question held pressure fine with no beer in it but when I pressurized it with beer in it, the liquid was oozing out of the out post by the valve. I have had no probs with losing pressure when they were in the kegerator and only noticed this when my cylinder ran out. I'll try the lube on the poppet valve.

Regards,
Al

Its definitely possible that replacing the poppets will fix a leak. It just depends really. sometimes they just need cleaned and lubed. sometimes they're just too 'used' and need replacing.

williams brewing has them.

Back