Bottle Etching

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nwcw2001

Reaction score
Check out what I found! I think it could lead to some pretty cool looking bottles.

B000E64WKO.01.PT07._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

B000E64WKO.01.PT03._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

here is a link to Amazon to get it for $70

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E64WKO/102-2566161-1489758

Enjoy

John

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a way to etch glass using acid that I have heard is pretty easy, but that is as much as I know, except it is a bit like silk screening.

are those not just diamond crusted tips for a standard dremel? might be a cheaper route if you own a dremel already. I bought a kit of 30 sized diamond bur removers for like $10 on ebay years ago I use'em for everything. FYI never tried on glass though anyone know the technique?

I would like to have some of them too - but I have the same issue as the Dube - zero art skillz. Plus i have an awful lot of bottles. I know I would lose patience after, oh, maybe one or two...

looks like that guy is using some sort of stencil, so maybe art skills aren't necessarily required... :confused:
don't know where you might get a stencil, though...

I did a fast search there is some etching medium you can buy but still you need a vinyl or paper template. I'd like to do some glasses. looks like a fun project to try myself anyway.

You can also cut a stencil out of contact paper and just sandblast the bottle for the same effect with a lot less work. Using the dremel that way is more for single bottle/piece custom work. :p

I was thinking of throwing a few bottles into a laser cutter that I have access to... it has a lathe built into it, so it rotates the bottle as it engraves into the glass... I'm going to have to come up with a cool name or something to test out...

Jester

Anotehr thought-- I wonder if an etched bottle would have more or less condensation. On the one hand there's more surface area to expose the surface tempt to the air. On the other hand the rough surface might not be optimum for condensation to form.

Another thought-- does etching weaken the bottle? If so is it enough to be concerned? How much etching is too much?

kornkob said:
Anotehr thought-- I wonder if an etched bottle would have more or less condensation. On the one hand there's more surface area to expose the surface tempt to the air. On the other hand the rough surface might not be optimum for condensation to form.

Another thought-- does etching weaken the bottle? If so is it enough to be concerned? How much etching is too much?
i don't think either condensation or strength would be affected by etching. we're not carving halfway into the glass...it's just a very shallow roughing of the surface of the glass. but i'm no glass-etcher... :mug:

I've thought about this but decided against it as I tend to give beer away and usually don't get the bottles back. So, I'd rather not put the time and effort into etching them to only lose them, I prefer etched pint glasses (see my sig ;) )!

But, I'd be happy to walk anyone through it. You're all pretty much on the right track anyway - for how I do it. I use a cut vinyl stencil and then mask around the edges a little further. Next I just sandblast. The acid creme etch will work as well, but in my opinion doesn't etch deep enough (this is what I began with). You lose the graphic with the slightest bit of condensation on the glass (Sandblasting produces a much deeper relief that you can see even when wet). But they would look fine on a dry room temp bottle. They're also pretty toxic - make sure you wash up good when you're done.

Go for it! I'd love to see the result and hear of any new techniques that you might come up with!

Doesn't this topic come up about every month???

Back