Beersmith:ingredients list disappers occasionally

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pickles

Reaction score
About every other time i open Beersmith 1.4; all of my recipes the ingredients list is blank. However, all the other info is still there (OG, FG, Est OG, Est FG, SRM you get the idea) what gives? Its becoming very annoyingwhen i want to compare recipes or adjust ingredients!

About every other time i open Beersmith 1.4; all of my recipes the ingredients list is blank. However, all the other info is still there (OG, FG, Est OG, Est FG, SRM you get the idea) what gives? Its becoming very annoyingwhen i want to compare recipes or adjust ingredients!

Try deleting the "newopts14.opts" file from the BeerSmith directory (usually its under C:\Program Files). This file was causing some problems.

Also make sure you have the latest version from the web site. It has a fix that should prevent this from recurring.

Cheers,
Brad

Is there a newer version of 1.4? If not then yes i have it. I performed the update that Beersmith includes in the software

trying to finalize a recipe the wife and I are going to brewin the morning and my f*ing ingredients list is gone!!!!!!! so pissed!

did a search for that file -- nothing--- redownloaded beersmith. same problem!! my pumkin lager recipe is going to have to be done by hand! not happy :(

I've been having the same problem as well. I deleted the file that Brad recommended, then opened BeerSmith and I'm still having the same problem.

I know they have been great for service and advice in the past but honestly 1.4 doesn't work when I open it 99% of the time. It's gotten more prevelant.

Just go to My computer, then your c: drive, them Program files and BeerSmith. I had the file and deleted it, but no help.

I upgraded to the new version to get the bjcp 2008 update, but if I can't see my freaking recipes because of it, I think I'll go back to the old version.

I know this is old but here's a link for reference since this just happened to me:
http://www.beersmith.com/forum/index.php?topic=1445.0

Under Vista or windows 7 you may also have a "Compatibility files" directory that shows up on the toolbar when you go to the BeerSmith directory. This is where your data and the opts file likely lives. The full path to the compatibility directory is: C:\Users\{USERNAME}\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\BeerSmith

where {USERNAME} is your login name for Vista.

If you delete the newopts14.opts directory there you should be in business.

Cheers,
Brad

Better solution posted here (no offense to Brad):
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f84/beersmith-ingredients-not-showing-up-164252/

"Backup data. Uninstall. Install to C:\Users\YourUserName . Problem (should be) solved.

That eventually happened to me on Vista, I looked at some fixes and everything, this worked like a charm and it never happened again. When I installed Win7 I installed to Program Files and shortly after it happened again, so I did what I said, problem solved again."

Since installed to this directory, the glitch has never happened to me.

One thing you may want to do though is right down your registration or serial # before you uninstall and then enter the same # when you re-install.....

Back