Belgian Ale - Skip secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phan71

Reaction score
I've got a belgian ale going right now, and I've been debating on whether or not I should skip racking it to the secondary and just go straight to the bottle.

Any thoughts?

FWIW, here's the recipe:

.5 lbs Munton's Extra Light DME
6.6 lbs Munton's Light LME (late addition)
1 lb corn sugar
2 lbs Belgian Pilsen
1 lb Belgian Pale
2 tsp Caradamon (15 min.)
2 tsp Bitter Orange Peel (15 min.)
2 tsp Coriander (15 min.)
2 oz 4.9% Wilamette @ 60 min.
1 oz 3.6% Czech Saaz @ 2 min.
Wyeast 1214 Belgian Ale

well, that belgian will definitely benefit from some aging. i personally would let it sit in the primary for about a month and then secondary for another month and then bottles for 6 months or so.

but you certainly could go straight from the primary...how long has it been in primary?

looks like a tasty recipe

It's been in the primary for a week now. Normally I would rack to the secondary today. I was thinking I could go straight to the bottle and just let it age in the bottle. I know a lot of Belgians are bottle conditioned. (This is the first time I've tried a Belgian.)

i would definitely leave it in the primary at least 3 weeks before you do anything.

yes belgians are bottle conditioned, but they are also aged in their fermenters for a long period of time before they are bottled.

one week before going into the bottle is not long enough for any beer.

Well, I might end up splitting the difference and moving it to the secondary after another week. (I want to free up my primary for next weekend - get another batch going.)

Back