how late is too late for late-extract-addition?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riored4v

Reaction score
SWMBO brewed up a hoegaarden kit this weekend and we took the late extract addition to another level..lol

We added half of the 7lbs of LME at the beginning of the 60 min.. got some good hot break, things were looking good.

Got all the hops and other additions added, cooled it down, went to the kitchen to add the top off water and what did we find sitting in the sink staying nice and warm??... Well it was the other half of the LME:drunk:

We added rest of the LME to primary, stirred it in, added rest of the water and mixed again. It seemed to dissolve just fine and we couldn't find any unmixed clumps. OG checked out fine as well.

Will this be ok?

It will work but I think you will have a slightly higher risk for infection since the LME didn't get hot enough to sterilize it. A friend of mine will do almost all of his LME additions at flameout. But he gives it 15 minutes or so to get up to temperature with the rest of the wort.

It would have been better to boil the LME in some water for 10 minutes, but there is a good chance nothing bad will happen.

david_42 said:
It would have been better to boil the LME in some water for 10 minutes, but there is a good chance nothing bad will happen.

well yea.. the super super late addition was definitely unplanned..lol

we had planned on adding it in at the last 15 before putting the chiller in the pot, but i guess with to much homebrew and a busy schedule, our minds got sidetracked.

thanks guys.

riored4v said:
well yea.. the super super late addition was definitely unplanned..lol

we had planned on adding it in at the last 15 before putting the chiller in the pot, but i guess with to much homebrew and a busy schedule, our minds got sidetracked.

thanks guys.

Ah the dangers of drinking and brewing:tank: I think most of us have looked up at least once during a brew day to see somthing important, like the hops, sitting outside your boil pot:D

deathweed said:
Ah the dangers of drinking and brewing:tank: I think most of us have looked up at least once during a brew day to see somthing important, like the hops, sitting outside your boil pot:D

Yeah, one time I forgot water.

I wondered why my DME scortched!!! :rockin: ;)

And to the OP . . . at least you remembered to add it to the brew!! +1 on the possibility of increased contamination, but if you had it sitting with the lid on, I wouldn't worry too terribly much.

Cheers,

lol yea next time might have to slow down on the brews, or atleast eat before we do start drinking.

Indy, yup, the lid was on the entire time it was sitting in the sink. Hopefully it'll make it w/o any contamination.

Thanks again guys.

riored4v said:
lol yea next time might have to slow down on the brews, or atleast eat before we do start drinking.

Indy, yup, the lid was on the entire time it was sitting in the sink. Hopefully it'll make it w/o any contamination.

Thanks again guys.

Dude, my brew buddy and I were pretty far into our "tastings" for our brew session on the Dark and Mysterious Cinnamon Porter we made. We decided in the recipe that 2 cinnamon sticks in the boil would be plenty. By the time we were ready to add them, we thought that 12 would be even better.

Long story short, the beer smells like Close Up Toothpaste and tastes of roasted cinnamon. After the few months it's been in the bottle it's finally starting to mellow.

One more question on your LME issue, how hot was the sink water? Was it just lukewarm or around 160F? If the latter, I wouldn't worry too much at all as it may have heated up enought to kill most anything that got into it.

Cheers,

lmao.. i can only picture the cinnamon smell/taste:cross: :cross: sounds interesting..haha

With the water, when i first put it back into the sink, i refilled the sink with fresh water and the water was pretty hot.. to hot to touch. But by the time i got around to adding the LME into the bucket it had cooled down to a tad warmer than luke warm.

Back