How long is one step effective?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevea1210

Reaction score
I am curious if anyone knows how long 1 step stays effective as a sanitizer? I want to keep some in a spray bottle, but have been dumping it after each step, as I am not sure when it loses its effectiveness.

That's why I switched to starsan. The one step works by creating hydrogen peroxide which breaks down. One week probably if you keep it in a dark, cool place and the container is clean. The starsan I can test if it's still good with litmus paper.

I love Star San, it is affordable, concentrated and after this first brew session with it... a real time saver! I LOVE IT.

I am still using bleach. Cheap and well, from my few brews seems okay.
But ya, I am heading towards Star San, just that my nearby home brew supply shop doesn't have it. Need to go to a further store for that.

solidghost said:
I am still using bleach. Cheap and well, from my few brews seems okay.
But ya, I am heading towards Star San, just that my nearby home brew supply shop doesn't have it. Need to go to a further store for that.

but it online. Williams has the HUGE bottle for like $13. makes like 240gal of sanitizer...an avg. brewer MIGHT use that much in 12 months.

the only thing I don't like about iodophor is the potential for staining...I'm hella messy.

I used to use bleach/water... but I have alot of clothes now with white spots on them. I also HATE rinsing, and rinsing well, it is wasteful and time consuming. I bought the large bottle of Star San and I figure that I can get 33 brew sessons of cleanser out of it. IT SAVES TIME!

Pol,

remember, Star-san can stay active for weeks/months, and only needs 30 seconds of being wet to work.

thus 1 gallon of star-san could easily sanitize all your equipment, for a month. if you brew every week, you might get 130 batches of beer done before the bottle is empty.

its hellaciously economical.

I can MAYBE brew twice a month, MAYBE... I just cannot consume enough beer to brew any more than that! I see what you are saying, and I am going to start mixing up 2.5 gallon batches of Star San...

Austinhomebrew said:
I know someone that would know the answer...The manufacturer.

http://www.ecologiccleansers.com/faq.html

Thanks, AHB. That was the link I was looking for. I think I may try star san next.
I haven't had any issues with one step, but star san gets some rave reviews. I just have to finish off this 5lb container of one step first.

Back