What to bring to Homebrew Day?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Traveling to a homebrew day down the road tomorrow (As EVERYONE should be doing...) and the gracious host is having chili and dogs.

I don't want to bring the same old chips, and my wife suggested I bring my potato salad, but I wondered if anyone could suggest something else. I'm open to ideas.

I expect there will be about 15 people, but the actual number is still up int he air, as it's a club event and who knows who is going to invite who to watch several beers being made.

Homer, this is our house "bring some wet noodle concoction to someone's house" dish... you can doctor this up however you want or scale it or whatever, we don't really have a recipe.

1 box noodles, cooked (we use penne or rotini)
Cooked chicken breast, sliced thin (however much)
Diced onion
Diced green pepper
Diced tomato
Fresh spinach, cut in strips
Shredded parmesan cheese
Black pepper
1/2 cup or so Italian Dressing (to taste really)

Mix it all up and chill for a bit. Change whatever you want. Super light and refreshing, would make a good partner to those greasy chili dogs. You might need to make more noodles for 15 people.

Last edited:
i get fancy sometimes and bring out the name brand hot dogs!
joking aside, a side dish i love to do

good Mariana, thick pieces of goat cheese ontop, bake until hot and bubbly, toss some fresh basil ontop and warm up some pita bread off to the side. Getting fat just thinking about it :(

Buffalo chicken dip - 2 cans chicken breast chunks, 1 package cream cheese, 1c ranch dressing, 1/4c bleu cheese, 1c franks red hot. Mix all ingredients in casserole and bake at 350 until hot, stirring occasionally. Great with frito scoops.

Sh*t Dip - in a 9x9 pan, evenly spread 1 package of cream cheese, then layer one can of no-bean chili, then top with sliced pepperjack cheese. Bake at 350 until hot and cheese is melted. Serve with aforementioned fritos or corn chips.

Or something different - Sweetened beer bread
3C self-rising flour (if using all purpose, add 3 pinches salt and 3 3/4 tsp baking powder)
1/2 C sugar
12 oz beer
>>>>>>>>
1/4 C butter melted, set aside

Preheat oven to 350, Grease a loaf pan
Mix all ingredients EXCEPT butter
Pour into pan and bake for 45 minutes. Pour melted butter over loaf, bake for an additional 10 minutes

Taco Dip

I'm serious. If someone brought taco dip to *any* of my get togethers, I would love them for all eternity. I love taco dip, who doesn't love taco dip? If you don't like taco dip you are a monster. It's basic, but, rarely do I ever see a taco dip plate ever left untouched. (maybe it's just a Wisconsin thing but taco dip platters are family get togethers get destroyed)

Ended up making potato salad. Kid texted and wanted to see Avengers: AoU so I had her cook the potatoes and eggs ahead of time so we'd have time to go out. Didn't end up going to movies, but I got potato salad done in quick fashion.

And didn't' get too many at the homebrew day and the potato salad was barely touched so it looks like summer grilling food and potato salad all week for me!

if i need a quick lunch and there is potato salad in the fridge.... that is lunch... haha

if i need a quick lunch and there is potato salad in the fridge.... that is lunch... haha

Most of it got thrown out. My wife suggested it, but when it came back home nobody wanted to eat it.

That's the way things go around here. They will buy some sugary treat and have some then leave the rest sitting around for me to eat or throw out.

I love it too, but my usual isn't fancy. Just mayo, mustard, some chopped onion. My friend makes it with cheese, spam, bacon, etc, etc. THAT is a meal!

I make it like mom did, turned out both mothers made it the same, central European style with mayo, mustard, hard boiled eggs, celery, salt & pepper, a lil milk in the sauce, etc...

No potato salad goes to waste at our house. I always make a double batch and it seems to go just as fast. I did try a new cold salad recipe this weekend with roasted corn, avacado, cherry tomatoes and onion with lime juice and cumin. I caught my wife standing at the fridge with a spoon digging in.

Back