Single tier strut built brutus 10 style system...need examples

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bd2xu

Reaction score
I'm currently using a 2x4 built three tier stand with an 8 gallon HLT, 10 gallon bev cooler MLT and keggle for BK. not able to leave well enough alone, my next major upgrade will be a strut built single tier stand with pumps. Plan on getting another keggle for the MLT, use existing keggle for HLT, and either a pot or keggle for bk.

Hoping to start a thread here for some ideas and plans on how to build this. Eventually I'd like to automate it and go HERMS but this initial build will be manual. Probably will go with two pumps, I want the ability to recirc the mash so I can fire the MLT for step mashes, and also whirlpool in the bk.

I've seen some example strut builds here but not exactly what I'm looking for. I really want to use the galvanized strut from home depot, this months zymurgy mag has a great article on building a two tier stand with it.

I'm just waiting on my fittings before I put together my single tier electric strut stand, obviously not identical but it could be easily adapted. I went with the "use way too much so it will survive a nuke" approach but it should be a nice sturdy piece. I assume you've checked out the main thread for ideas?

http://www.strutstands.com/singletier3station/

Dude running this site had a article in brew;

He give basic instructions on what you need to do it yourself on the site.

I was going to comment on how expensive his kits are, but given he tells you how to do it (aside from measurements), I can see the lazy folk shelling out some extra cash to have it pre-done. Hope he's making some money on them.

Now trying to decide of I should go with the 12 or 14 gauge. About $3 difference per ten foot section and the 12 gauge is significantly bigger and heavier. Would like to use the 14 mainly because its lighter and easier to work with but will it hold the weight?

Would like to use the 14 mainly because its lighter and easier to work with but will it hold the weight?

Yes it will. Welded together into a box, my 14g stand is a beast. Some bigger wheels and I could ride it down a mountain.

Yes it will. Welded together into a box, my 14g stand is a beast. Some bigger wheels and I could ride it down a mountain.

Ok I'm thinking the 14 gauge will be ok. Bolts might not be as sturdy as welds but I'd think it will be fine. The 14 gauge will only save about $15 but it's so much lighter.

http://www.strutstands.com/singletier3station/

Dude running this site had a article in brew;

He give basic instructions on what you need to do it yourself on the site.

Hey, thanks for the feedback! I didn't sell many at all. Kind of bummed. Factoring in all the time involved (picking up the material, cutting, packing, shipping, etc) it just is not worth selling them for much less. They do seem expensive, but I put a price out there that was as cheap as I was willing to do it for. I think they would sell much better as a turnkey unit with burners, pump(s), controller, Honeywell gas valve, like mine. Not enough time at the moment to get a kit like that all ready to ship.

Back