Cream Ale Second Best Cream Ale (Silver Medal Winner)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Herky21

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Safale-05
Yeast Starter
1.0 liter
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
Extra dry pack
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
6 weeks at 63f
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
None
Tasting Notes
Strawberry, slight DMS/Corn
This won a silver medal at the IBU open for Specialty Beer Category 23. It is a bit hoppier than a normal Cream Ale, which would usually be under 20 IBUs. Both judges gave it 40/50. They noted a strong flavor of Strawberry's from the Belma Hops. It is very crisp and really is going to be a great summer beer.

Second Best Cream Ale
Cream Ale
Type: All Grain Date: 12/30/2012
Batch Size (fermenter): 6.00 gal Brewer: KJR
Boil Size: 7.83 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 90 min Equipment: Pot and Cooler ( 5 Gal/19 L) - All Grain
End of Boil Volume 7.02 gal Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Final Bottling Volume: 5.86 gal Est Mash Efficiency 81.0 %
Fermentation: My Aging Profile Taste Rating(out of 50): 40.0
Taste Notes: bottled feb 13th PM
Ingredients

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
WATER
5.00 gal Distilled Water Water 1 -
3.00 gal Poland Spring (R) Water 2 -
1.00 gal Des Moines (Fleur) Water 3 -

GRAIN
6 lbs Pale Malt (6 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 4 41.7 %
5 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 5 34.8 %
1 lbs Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM) Grain 6 7.0 %
1 lbs Rice, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 7 7.0 %
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 8 3.5 %
8.0 oz Wheat, Torrified (1.7 SRM) Grain 9 3.5 %
6.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 10 2.6 %

HOPS +
0.50 oz Belma [12.10 %] - First Wort 90.0 min Hop 11 17.7 IBUs
0.50 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 12 -
1.00 oz Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [4.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 13 4.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [4.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 14 2.2 IBUs
0.50 oz Belma [12.10 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 15 3.3 IBUs
1.00 oz Belma [12.10 %] - Aroma Steep 30.0 min Hop 16 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [4.00 %] - Aroma Steep 30.0 min Hop 17 0.0 IBUs

YEAST
2.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 ml] Yeast 18 -
0.25 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Primary 3.0 days) Other 19 -

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.061 SG Measured Original Gravity: 1.056 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.015 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.015 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.0 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 5.3 %
Bitterness: 27.2 IBUs Calories: 177.9 kcal/12oz
Est Color: 4.1 SRM
Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out Total Grain Weight: 14 lbs 6.0 oz
Sparge Water: 5.31 gal Grain Temperature: 70.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F Tun Temperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE Mash PH: 5.20

Mash Steps
Name Description Step Temperature Step Time
Mash In Add 17.97 qt of water at 170.1 F 155.7 F 60 min

Sparge Step: Fly sparge with 5.31 gal water at 168.0 F
Mash Notes: Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about 95% of the time).
Carbonation and Storage

Carbonation Type: Bottle Volumes of CO2: 2.7
Pressure/Weight: 5.86 oz Carbonation Used: Bottle with 5.86 oz Corn Sugar
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 70.0 F Age for: 28.00 days
Fermentation: My Aging Profile Storage Temperature: 65.0 F
Notes

Water: 5 gallons of WalMart Distilled, 3 gallons of WalMart Spring, and 1 gallons of tap water.

Strike Water: 2 gallons of distilled, 2 gallon of Spring, and 1 gallon of tap. Temp: 169-170F. Mashed at 156.7F for 60 minutes (**Tested thermometer later, probably 4 degrees over real temp so ~152.7F). Fly-sparging with PVC Arm. Sparge Water: 5.25 gallons (3 distilled, 1 spring, .5 tap). Fly sparged a couple gallons with 6-7 drops of lactic acid through. Retained last 3 gallons for a batch sparge. Letting rest at 156F for 12 more minutes after stirring batch. Put on stove with FWH.

First 3 days of fermentation: 61F +/- 2
Next 7 days: 59 =/- 2
1/10/12: set to 67F, but only rose to 63F =/- 2
Created with BeerSmith

Interesting! I just had the thought to brew a cream ale for my father-in-law, and I have about half a pound of Belma sitting in the freezer. Might have to brew this up after we move next month -- thanks!

Interesting! I just had the thought to brew a cream ale for my father-in-law, and I have about half a pound of Belma sitting in the freezer. Might have to brew this up after we move next month -- thanks!

You won't be disappointed. Everyone is asking me to make it again, even though there are a few bottles left. It's one of those go to, crisp, really flavorful beers. My efficiency was a little low so keep that in mind when you go to make yours.

So, quick question: why did you use two packs of US-05?

I wanted to overpitch the yeast to make sure that the flavors were clean. I was thinking somewhere in the middle of ale yeast rate and lager. I took the time to buy distilled and spring water so I thought I'd might as well get a lot of yeast too in order to really get clean flavors to showcase the subtle Belma hops.

Well I was pumped to brew this up this week but cannot find belma hops currently.....What would you recommend as an alternative to keep this recipe as close to the original as possible? If its the belma that makes it then I guess ill have to brew something else until I can get my hands on some. Thanks

Well I was pumped to brew this up this week but cannot find belma hops currently.....What would you recommend as an alternative to keep this recipe as close to the original as possible? If its the belma that makes it then I guess ill have to brew something else until I can get my hands on some. Thanks

I did a version of it with all noble hops that everyone absolutely loved. It was bittering with 1 oz. hallertauer, than at 5 min I added one ounce each of saaz, liberty, and tettnanger. I added 1 oz. Of hallertauer mittelfrueh at flameout. I guess liberty isn't technically noble, but w/e it fit. the hop that really shined was saaz. You could do it as a noble cream ale, or with all saaz, calculating the Ibus to be close to the recipe above ~27.

And I should've added to my above post that i don't think there are any direct alternatives to Belma. Its a pretty unique flavor - strawberry, light melon.

Thanks, I'll have to see if the local shop has all those. I wonder if a guy could use a diff hop with similar or same acids and the just toss some pasteurized strawberry in the secondary?

You could, but this really isn't a strawberry fruit beer - just a beer with the subtle flavor of strawberry from the hops. You could also use cascade, or amarillo or something and just make it fruity.

Finally got around to brewing this Sunday, but subbed a pack of BRY-97 for the US-05 (was curious). Figured one pack would probably be enough. We'll see how it goes.

Just out of curiosity, when you entered this as category 23, and you're supposed to give a description about what makes this beer 'specialty,' what did you say?

yeah I just described it as a cream ale with higher IBUs as it says in Cat. 23 specifically. The prompting worked I think and apparently the judges were aware of the distinction. I think the description as to what the judges can compare the beer to, especially in cat 23, are really important. I had a Smoked Breakfast Stout that I didn't describe well and it was an awesome beer, but the judges didn't know what style to compare that one to so it got a low score.

Thanks. Once I found the "Classic American" listing in 23 I thought that might be appropriate. My only concern will be the flavor contribution from the Belma, but it worked for you, so I'll give it a go!

As a beer judge, when I judge 16 or 23 specialties, and people don't list what makes the beer special, I know before tasting that it probably won't be best of show. As much info as possible is the way to go.

Just bottled today. OG was 1.061, FG was pretty low at 1.010, so 6.8% ABV...that's some cream ale!

However, based on the taste I'm getting from the dregs of the bottling bucket, the priming sugar may not have been mixed in good enough. Sample is kinda sweet. Hoping the Belma comes out a little more once carbonated.

Just bottled today. OG was 1.061, FG was pretty low at 1.010, so 6.8% ABV...that's some cream ale!

However, based on the taste I'm getting from the dregs of the bottling bucket, the priming sugar may not have been mixed in good enough. Sample is kinda sweet. Hoping the Belma comes out a little more once carbonated.

6.8%?? Wow. What'd you mash at to get to 1.010?

Mashed a little low, at 152. Must have misread/forgot the recipe, but it is within the guidelines for FG. OG's a little high for style, but that's okay. My biggest problems were temperature control (fermented at about 68) and haze. After three weeks the beer didn't drop as clear as I would have liked. Hoping that three weeks in the bottle will help that. Either way, appearance is only 3 points.

You mentioned a 30 min aroma steep for some of the hops. When in the process is this steep time? Is this after flameout as you cool the wort or do you wait to cool the wort?

You mentioned a 30 min aroma steep for some of the hops. When in the process is this steep time? Is this after flameout as you cool the wort or do you wait to cool the wort?

I stick it in an ice bath and then the temp is usually shocked below 200F pretty shortly. I then add the hops and steep until it is cooled to under 90F. I estimated at 30 minutes, but it might be slightly more than that. I also stir at this point to cool faster, and for the added effect of integrating the flameout hops into the wort. I wish I had a hopback, but I get pretty good aroma from this technique. The most important part, I think, is letting it cool below 200F.

Not even a week in the bottle, but I wanted to make sure it was carbonating. This beer is great! Nice malt character with a bit of corn, balanced by some good hop bitterness. Despite having almost 7% ABV, this beer is very smooth. Unfortunately I'm not getting the melon or strawberry from the Belma, but again, it's only been in the bottle less than a week, and I used BRY-97 instead of US-05. BRY-97 is known to reduce hop flavor, at least at first, but many brewers report that the hops started to pop like in US-05 after a couple weeks.

This beer should be perfect in about 2-3 weeks, and hopefully the strawberry will come out. I've used Belma in a session saison, so I know what it can do.

Unfortunately Hops Direct is out of Belma until the fall. I'll have to plan for next summer. Put a Cream Ale in the primary last night without it.

Not even a week in the bottle, but I wanted to make sure it was carbonating. This beer is great! Nice malt character with a bit of corn, balanced by some good hop bitterness. Despite having almost 7% ABV, this beer is very smooth. Unfortunately I'm not getting the melon or strawberry from the Belma, but again, it's only been in the bottle less than a week, and I used BRY-97 instead of US-05. BRY-97 is known to reduce hop flavor, at least at first, but many brewers report that the hops started to pop like in US-05 after a couple weeks.

This beer should be perfect in about 2-3 weeks, and hopefully the strawberry will come out. I've used Belma in a session saison, so I know what it can do.

I've never used BRY-97, but hopefully the flavor comes out. In any case, it is a pretty subtle flavor so who knows. I think the water profile of the original recipe helps (near to Pilsner). Belma is so light and subtle in flavor that any minerals or ferm flavors can quickly overwhelm it. Glad it's starting to taste good though!

In any case, it is a pretty subtle flavor so who knows ... Belma is so light and subtle in flavor that any minerals or ferm flavors can quickly overwhelm it. Glad it's starting to taste good though!
Agreed, sort of. It is pretty subtle, and seems to do some of its best work in combo with other hops. That said, Belma works very well in saisons. The berry/melon playing off the spicy/fruity character of saison yeast is a truly beautiful thing! Of course, my session saison was also a combo of Belma and Strisselspalt, but you definitely taste the Belma.

:off:Tried to do a smoked IPA with Belma as the only hop. I'm not entirely sure where the smoke stopped and the hops began. Certainly wouldn't call it an IPA though.

Unfortunately Hops Direct is out of Belma until the fall. I'll have to plan for next summer. Put a Cream Ale in the primary last night without it.

Yeah I saw that. I'm down to slightly less than the recipe uses so I'll be happy to order some more come fall. It was around $5.25 a pound... hope that deal comes back.

I forgot to mention this, but I entered this in a comp over the summer and it got a 32.5. Not a bad score. Admittedly the beer was a little young in the bottle (2 weeks), and the biggest thing they dinged it for was flavor. One judge said, "Strong fruit flavors, reminiscent of apricot and pear. Very herbal hop flavor. Very clean fermentation. Bitter finish." Gave me a 12 out of 20. The other judge gave me 11 of 20, liked everything but said it lacked a "corn presence." Kinda wish I could give them a bottle now. It's definitely a cream ale!

I forgot to mention this, but I entered this in a comp over the summer and it got a 32.5. Not a bad score. Admittedly the beer was a little young in the bottle (2 weeks), and the biggest thing they dinged it for was flavor. One judge said, "Strong fruit flavors, reminiscent of apricot and pear. Very herbal hop flavor. Very clean fermentation. Bitter finish." Gave me a 12 out of 20. The other judge gave me 11 of 20, liked everything but said it lacked a "corn presence." Kinda wish I could give them a bottle now. It's definitely a cream ale!

Interesting. Cat 23 can be so subjective. Glad to hear it came around.

Also if anyone is looking belma leaves are available at 7.25 a pound now. Pellets to come.

And another added benefit of this beer: it's crafty enough to suit my tastes, but smooth/clean enough that I'm pretty sure my father-in-law will love it when he visits in a couple weeks. I've been trying to win that guy over for years!

Yeah. It hits that sweet spot. The noble hops keeps the flavors friendly for everyone and the belma makes it a little crafty.

My girlfriends dad loves it and hes a coors light guy. Hopefully you can win him over!

Agreed, sort of. It is pretty subtle, and seems to do some of its best work in combo with other hops. That said, Belma works very well in saisons. The berry/melon playing off the spicy/fruity character of saison yeast is a truly beautiful thing! Of course, my session saison was also a combo of Belma and Strisselspalt, but you definitely taste the Belma.

:off:Tried to do a smoked IPA with Belma as the only hop. I'm not entirely sure where the smoke stopped and the hops began. Certainly wouldn't call it an IPA though.

I was just checking out your session saison recipe. Interesting! What does Cube hop mean?

What does Cube hop mean?
I was using the No-Chill method at the time, where you transfer your near-boiling wort into a heatproof vessel, seal it up, and let it cool overnight. The cube hops are added to this vessel before the hot wort is racked in. The additional exposure to high temperatures equated to about a 20 minute addition. So, anything that says cube hop, calculate as a regular 20 minute addition.

Latest posts

Back