Chest Freezer Specs and Layouts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome work! Could you do me a huge favor and do the math on whether or not the freezers that will hold two 1/2 bbls. will be able to hold one 1/2 and two cornies? That is the setup I am looking for if I can manage it, and I was wondering what the minimum freezer size is that I would need.

Thanks again, this is so helpful!

Awesome work! Could you do me a huge favor and do the math on whether or not the freezers that will hold two 1/2 bbls. will be able to hold one 1/2 and two cornies? That is the setup I am looking for if I can manage it, and I was wondering what the minimum freezer size is that I would need.

Thanks again, this is so helpful!

Good question! I only have so many numbers to work with so far, but I'll give it a shot with the information I have.

The Frigidaire 8.8cf LFFC09M5HW in Post #19 can hold one 1/2 bbl and one 1/4 bbl without a collar. You can swap out the 1/4 bbl for a second 1/2 bbl on the hump, but you'll need to add a collar. My calculations show you'll need minimum 5-1/2" collar, but that does not account for taps. Assume that you'll need a 1x8/2x8 collar for a low profile Sanke tap, or a 1x10/2x10 collar for a regular Sanke tap. All three configurations leave room for two 5# CO2 tanks inside.

To get two 1/2 bbl kegs without using the hump, you'll need minimum 32-1/2" width without hump and 16-1/4" depth if they're side-by-side. The 10.0cf-class freezers are wider, but not wide enough. The 13.0cf-class freezers will are about the same internal width as the 10.0cf-class models, with a little extra depth, so that won't get you there either.

At the 15.0-cf class, the configuration you're hoping for starts to be become possible. The Maytag 14.8cf MQC1552TEW can hold two 1/2 bbl side-by-side, plus any of two 20# CO2 tanks, or two 1/6 bbl kegs with a few 5# CO2, or two ball lock kegs with a few 5# CO2 tanks. Any larger class will be able to hold at least this much, right on up to the 25.0cf-class.

If you are looking to save money, Lowe's has the Frigidaire 12.9cf LFCH13M2MW right now on a tremendous sale for $269. Might wanna hurry before they're all gone, if you're willing to make that size compromise.

Did I answer all your questions?

Thanks!

My only question would be about the structural stability of placing a 1/2 bbl. on the hump. I've never really pressed down on that to see how solid it is, but I know a 1/2 bbl. carries a significant amount of weight. Would that be a problem?

My thinking is that the difference between an 8.8 and a 12-15 is pretty large, and if I can make an 8 work that would be huge.

You are so awesome, you pretty much made my decision on what to get for my keezer. thanks for the hard work and beautiful diagrams and charts!

You are so awesome, you pretty much made my decision on what to get for my keezer. thanks for the hard work and beautiful diagrams and charts!

Glad to hear!

If you get a model that I don't have drawings for yet, please consider submitting the measurements listed in Post #4 so I can make drawings for that model.

Thanks!

My only question would be about the structural stability of placing a 1/2 bbl. on the hump. I've never really pressed down on that to see how solid it is, but I know a 1/2 bbl. carries a significant amount of weight. Would that be a problem?

My thinking is that the difference between an 8.8 and a 12-15 is pretty large, and if I can make an 8 work that would be huge.

Indeed, the weight of 1/2 bbl is not insignificant.

Any time you're trying to put a 1/2 bbl on a compressor hump, you'll need to provide support. Most shelves are less than 10" wide, and the 1/2 bbl is over 16" wide. It wouldn't be too difficult to distribute the weight across the platform you'd have to build. Personally, I'd probably not go past 1/4 bbl on the hump of any model, but that's just me.

What beers do you have planned that you'll need two 1/2 bbl all the time? Just curious. :)

I'm actually going with the Frigidaire 14.8cf LFFN15M5HW, Your info sold me on it, it's the perfect size for me as I'm going to do 4 ball locks of beer (with and extra 2 in there on reserve), 2 of carbonated water, and a 20# co2 tank with a 4" collar. I got a bunch of Lowes gift cards for christmas and that pretty much paid for it.

I'm actually going with the Frigidaire 14.8cf LFFN15M5HW, Your info sold me on it, it's the perfect size for me as I'm going to do 4 ball locks of beer (with and extra 2 in there on reserve), 2 of carbonated water, and a 20# co2 tank with a 4" collar. I got a bunch of Lowes gift cards for christmas and that pretty much paid for it.

Awesome. :) I hope it works out well for you.

Good question! It wouldn't be all the time. I'm a college student, and the plan would be to have 2 or 3 1/6 bbls on tap typically (probably two crafts and one home brew for now until I get more experience brewing). I would like to be able to have a 1/2 bbl on tap of something for any parties we have. I doubt we would ever need two 1/2 bbls on tap, but it just seems to work out that the space I need to have one 1/2 and two 1/6 (or two cornies) is nearly equivalent to having the space for two 1/2s, if that makes sense. The prospect of being able to have two 1/2s on tap has me thinking though, and I figure if I'm remarkably close to being able to do it space wise with the system I want, I may as well set it up so that it is possible.

I've been searching threads for information on combining different keg sizes, but I haven't been able to find much until this thread. I'm doing this on a bit of a budget (I'd like to get the bones of a nice system, then get it operational, and then upgrade it as time goes on) so I'm trying to go with the smallest freezer that I can get and still meet my goals.

Hey, no worries.

Personally, I'd have a hard time picking two beers that I like that are both available in 1/2 bbl and that I like enough to drink 1/2 bbl of. The only reason I'd go with a 1/2 bbl personally was if I was throwing a party and I didn't have the lead time to make up the equivalent batches of Cream Ale.

That said, I did go through a lot of BMC and malt liquor in college.

Wow, this thread is awesome, many thanks for doing all this work! Trying to pick the freezer for my new keezer and this will help immensely.

One question though. The picture for the Maytag 14.8cf MQC1552TEW shows up as the one for the Holiday 7.0 ... is it just me? Looking to compare it with the Fridigaire 14.8.

Thanks again!

Wow, this thread is awesome, many thanks for doing all this work! Trying to pick the freezer for my new keezer and this will help immensely.

No problem. Taking a road trip tomorrow for work that, hopefully, will afford me the opportunity to measure some more models. The last time I went on a measuring spree, I ended up getting called into work mid-way through.

One question though. The picture for the Maytag 14.8cf MQC1552TEW shows up as the one for the Holiday 7.0 ... is it just me? Looking to compare it with the Fridigaire 14.8.

Thanks again!

Keen eye. Fixed the image link to the Maytag 14.8cf MQC1552TEW. Seems to just have been a copy-and-paste error.

I'd say it's far-and-away the best model in the 15-cf class because of the hump layout. I wouldn't go with any other model unless you were getting a pretty good sale or you were able to score another model of something else in that class used on the cheap.

Managed to swing by RC Willey today. Found a Danby 5.0cf and a Danby 7.0cf, as well as a different Frigidaire 15.0cf.

Took measurements and hope to get the drawings completed and uploaded tomorrow.

Sorry, ran out of time before visiting Best Buy for the Igloo 7.2cf and Sears for the re-badged Kenmore models. You can blame my lack of time on my mad search for Pliny the Elder. :(

I have been looking at an igloo 5.2 cubic feet do you think if I use your Ge 5.0 as a guide I would be good

I do not think that would be a good idea.

Igloo has some odd layout on their 7.2 as opposed to almost all other 7.0 models. I assume the Igloo 5.2 is odd as compared to other 5.0 models as well.

If you can get me the measurements listed in Post #4, I'd be willing to draw it up today. You might be able to find them online; admittedly, I have not tried for that model yet.

Added the Frigidaire 12.9cf LFCH13M2MW drawings and spec sheet.

Drew up the blanks for the Danby 5.5cf DCF550W1 and the Danby 7.0cf DCF700W1.

Went to draw up the plans for the Frigidaire 15.0cf GLFC1526FW I found at RC Willey, and it's the same as the Frigidaire 14.9cf LFFN15M5HW. To within 1/8" on every measure. Don't think I'll be drawing that one up separate.

Also re-exported the images for the Frigidaire 14.9cf LFFN15M5HW. They were somehow still the old, low-resolution versions.

Thadius,

I just wanted to say that this thread is one that I was trying to refind for the longest time... just found it again!! I had purchased the Frigidaire 12.9cf from lowes(at a discount) about 3 weeks ago, but through a faulty computer system they didn't have any in stock at all. Today I received a call from the Deliveries Manager telling me of the situation and that they will instead be delivering the 14.9cf freezer instead at no additional cost... I think this counts as a very big win in my books don't you? The next week will be fraught with internal strife trying to figure out how many taps I want with how many backups i will need... Input will be greatly appreciated!!

-Yaksha808

Seems like a win to me, as long as you have the space for it.

The extra space lets you go from 8 ball locks on the floor to 9 ball locks on the floor, plus a few 5# CO2 tanks. Add a 1x10 insulation sandwiched or 2x10 collar, and you can add another 2 ball locks on the hump while swapping up to a single 10# CO2 tank.

No matter what you do, keep the number of taps an even number. Start with 4 taps, a dual primary and a 4-way secondary. Drill the four taps in the center of the collar, with the holes 3.5" on center, to leave space for big tap handles some day. Like so.

For now, just stick to the 4 beers on tap. It's a fine art learning to work your keezer. You don't want to get overwhelmed, because then it's no longer fun. Consider the rest of the space room for lagering (which you can do in Cornys, btw), carbinating, or storing your next brews. You'll also have plenty of space to store your yeast, cold crash primaries or starters, and thaw any hops.

Later on, you'll be able to easily add to it. The secondary will be gangable. If you ever decide to move up to a 6-, 8-, or 10-tap system, you could easily add them on either side. The dual primary allows you to force carb, carb up soda, or use a beer gun without having to turn off everything else or touch their pressures.

thadius856 said:
No matter what you do, keep the number of taps an even number. Start with 4 taps, a dual primary and a 4-way secondary. Drill the four taps in the center of the collar, with the holes 3.5" on center, to leave space for big tap handles some day. Like so.

http://imgur.com/LGoL5

Just curious...why an even number?? Setting up my first keezer in the garage as we speak and planned on 3 (ordered parts for 3 too).

So I finally got the specs my girlfriend made it clean the whole house so yeah but here they are

Model: igloo frf452b
Availability: in stock
Color: white
Price: $219 best buy

Ex: W x 28 3/4 D x 20 5/8 H x 32 3/4
In: W x 23 D x 15 H x 27 1/2
Hump: W x 7 3/4 D x 15 1/2 H x 9 1/4 left

Special Features
Has a temp controller that goes up to 50 f

thadius856 said:
Frigidaire 12.9cf LFCH13M2MW

http://imgur.com/2VTz5

http://imgur.com/5nhbf

http://imgur.com/A6CF4

http://imgur.com/Ku4kg

Fantastic job! I will definitely be referring to this when I begin the adventure into kegging! I just wanted to point out that on this model, you exterior width measurement is smaller than you interior width measurement ;-). I'm sure it's just a typo, but I can tell you are as much a perfectionist as I am. Fantastic job again, keep up the great work!

Cheers!

So I finally got the specs my girlfriend made it clean the whole house so yeah but here they are

Model: igloo frf452b
Availability: in stock
Color: white
Price: $219 best buy

Ex: W x 28 3/4 D x 20 5/8 H x 32 3/4
In: W x 23 D x 15 H x 27 1/2
Hump: W x 7 3/4 D x 15 1/2 H x 9 1/4 left

Special Features
Has a temp controller that goes up to 50 f

Awesome. I'll try to get to this tonight. I'm certainly more interested in drafting this one up than yet another Frigidaire model.

And thanks again for the thread and the freezer stuff

No problem at all. While I don't enjoy drafting each model, I really would like to save people the time of reading through 120 pages of a thread, as I did.

Fantastic job! I will definitely be referring to this when I begin the adventure into kegging! I just wanted to point out that on this model, you exterior width measurement is smaller than you interior width measurement ;-). I'm sure it's just a typo, but I can tell you are as much a perfectionist as I am. Fantastic job again, keep up the great work!

Cheers!

Appreciate that. Yep, it's a typo. It's really 42¾" long on the exterior. I'll update that some day when I get bored. :) It's really a pain to edit, then re-convert the .docx to .png, re-upload, re-name the image link, etc.

BTW, it seems that any Frigidaire model number starting with the letter 'L' is a Lowe's exclusive model. My gas range starts with 'L'. Otherwise, non-exclusive models begin with 'F'.

Just curious...why an even number?? Setting up my first keezer in the garage as we speak and planned on 3 (ordered parts for 3 too).

Just realized I never answered this. Sorry about the delay.

I recommended an even number only because most people end up installing an even number of taps on keezers that are 10.0 CF+. There's no specific reason why you have to use an even number of taps.

Hence, I figured he'll wind up with an even number of taps in the end. For an even number of taps, the middle two taps are centered on the collar horizontally. For an odd number of taps, the middle tap is centered on the collar horizontally.

Essentially, I didn't want him to end up with a wonky looking layout. All of this goes out the window once you start considering in-collar controllers.

Re-worked the first 30 posts or so. Removed a Frigidaire 15cf-class model that apparently doesn't exist. Not sure how it got in there. Removed an Amana 15cf-class model I can't find any recent information on. Moved all of the posts above those two models down, then added the Danby 5.5cf DCF550W1 and the Igloo 5.2cf FRF452B into the empty slots. Updated the index to reflect this, but if you were looking in the last 20 minutes or so, things might have been wonky while I was editing.

Finished the layouts for the Danby 5.5cf DCF550W1. They're now posted.

These take me about 2 hours per model to do. Most of the time is spent exporting, converting, uploading, editing images, and posting the results. I'm going to limit myself to 1-per-day on my days off. Hopefully that will prevent burnout. :) Sorry if it slows things down for anybody awaiting a specific model.

Next up (in order): Danby DCG700W1, Igloo 5.2 FRF452B

Thadius, I'm debating getting a 5.0 CF or 4.4 mini. Was leaning towards mini fridge because I don't have to make a huge collar. I see on both 5.0 chest freezers here you can fit 2 ball locks on the floor and 1 ball on the hump with a 8-10" collar.

Can you fit a pin lock on the hump on either of those ?

If that is the case I would definitely go this route for 3 kegs with a smaller collar :)

Thadius,
Got the freezer delivered yesterday, had them put it in my garage for right now. I have it connected to my diy temp controller, just need to get a heating unit inorder to use it as a fermentation chamber till i get some tools and supplies for the collar build. As of right now I am cold crashing my vanilla irish stout and my port and I will be putting them into kegs next weekend while I brew the honey hefe... I think I need another couple of kegs, lol. When its built I'll send you pictures of it, not sure how big of a collar I should use... Also... I'm using Pin Locks not ball locks, so it will be less kegs then is possible.

-Yaksha

Ill check into this when I get home. Still on the road back from a brewing event yesterday.

Off the top of my head, I know the Danby 5.5 can fit 3 ball locks on the floor without a collar, though you nay have to remove the handle from your CO2 tank to get the lid to close. The Igloo 5.2 may also work the same, but I wont know until I draw it up tonight.

Been busy with some side projects. Trying to build my mash tun (almost done, just need to slot the manifold), build four stir plates (just waiting on magnets now, I think), pre-boiling and freezing starters (have the jars, but need to sanitize and boil now), set up for a yeast bank (tubes have arrived!), buy bulk hops (shipment is on the way!), get a vacuum sealer set up to portion the hops (researching them now), and a couple other things... while juggling in starters and brew days.

Saw that Kmart has the Kenmore 7.2cf #18702 on sale and figured I'd drop a line here. Use coupon code to get it down to $162 + tax: KMART10PSAVINGS. I don't have drawings for this model yet, sorry.

I will do you one better thadius, use 25OFF125 for a couple more bucks less. $154.99 before tax. Very interested in whether or not this freezer would hold 4 ball locks on the floor and 1 on the hump. The sale price appears to be good through 2/2.

The specs listed are as follows:

Dimensions and Capacity:
Depth (in.): 22
Freezer Capacity: Less than 10 cu. ft.
Height w/Door Closed (In.): 32.5
Height w/Door Open (In.): 0
Overall Capacity (Cu Ft): 7.2
Width (in.): 37.25

The popular GE model is:
Assembled Depth (in.) 22.00 in Assembled Height (in.) 33.25 in
Assembled Width (in.) 37 in Bulk Storage Baskets (number) 2

I'm assuming height is irrelevant and what matters is WxD, so the Kenmore should be able to fit the same as the GE, or am I missing something?

Interior height is relevant for determining what fits without a collar or collar height needed. Hump size is also important.

For ball locks on the floor only, you can ignore height. But if you want to use the hump or 20# CO2 tanks, its important.

PM sent with specs. Let me know if you need anything else. I'm not pressed for a drawing or anything, just jumped on a good deal and thought I could help out.

Awesome. It's a good deal. Hope you guys are happy with the freezer.

Normally with Kenmore products, I dig to try to find out the OEM. In the case of freezers, it's almost certainly the same Chinese company that makes all of them except WC Wood and the European models.

Man thanks for all the hard work you put into this. The information is really helpful. I got a free chest freezer from a friend and need to measure it out so I can start doing some configuring.

Back