Bottle vs Kegging? The good with the bad...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aaronmc52

Reaction score
Just trying to figure out what the majority of us do. Bottle only or keg only or both? If keg only what is the preferred method of sharing/traveling? How do you overcome having to bring a 5 ga keg with you to your buddies house? Do you bottle out of the keg? What type bottles do you use (12oz 16oz Growlers?).

I keg and bottle a little of each batch but am curious if there is a better way since bottling from a keg doesnt really produce great results (unless there is a tip that I am missing) for me.

Please share.

I keg and have never bottled as it looked like a lot of extra work, and brewing is labor intensive enough without this additional step, IMHO. To share samples I use a Bowie Bottler I got from these forums. For parties, I fill several 1 gallon glass jugs or growlers and that works great! I do bottle some when I end up with more than a keg can hold, but we are talking 5-6 bottles max. I will say I do find subtle taste differences that I like more from the bottles than the keg, but have not researched why that might be ( it could just be aging/conditioning as I drink them less frequently and usually months later than the kegs ). I have friends who bottle and they do a wonderful job of it, making awesome beers. This is really one of those many brewing questions where there is no right or wrong answer. It is all about personal preferences. Either way great beer will be had! Cheers!!

stonebrewer said:
I keg and have never bottled as it looked like a lot of extra work, and brewing is labor intensive enough without this additional step, IMHO. To share samples I use a Bowie Bottler I got from these forums. For parties, I fill several 1 gallon glass jugs or growlers and that works great! I do bottle some when I end up with more than a keg can hold, but we are talking 5-6 bottles max. I will say I do find subtle taste differences that I like more from the bottles than the keg, but have not researched why that might be ( it could just be aging/conditioning as I drink them less frequently and usually months later than the kegs ). I have friends who bottle and they do a wonderful job of it, making awesome beers. This is really one of those many brewing questions where there is no right or wrong answer. It is all about personal preferences. Either way great beer will be had! Cheers!!

Sorry for second post...cannot figure out how to edit from iPad app and am on travel. So I bottle with the Bowie to 12, 16, 22 ounce bottles and to the growlers though sometimes I just pour right into a growler from tap as it will be drunk within hours and I have never had a complaint about taste or being flat as not much CO2 is lost. Non home brew friends seem to not handle yeast slurry as well so I find these methods work great for them. Purist may have some issue with these methods so I look at it like this: drink it or it leaves more for me. Grin!

Back