Fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yellowpinky

Reaction score
Hi,i've just bought my 1st kit and have noticed the 36 pints of nelsons revenge has stopped bubbling at 5 days which is spot on according to the box..The question is can i leave it till monday to keg as i'm busy till then?
Also how much sugar should i add to 36 pints and what type?
Cheers..

You really need to use a hydrometer and measure the SG to ensure fermentation is complete. Once you get steady gravity readings over about 3 days indicating it is complete I would not rush to package but rather give it another week.
There are many calculators around to assist you with priming rates for the style of beer you are brewing. Here is just one:
http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html

Personally I use dextrose.

Thanks for the reply,no rush then which is great.
I have a hydrometer so do i lift the lid on the fermenting bucket and use the syphon to put some liquid in the test tube..It seems a lot of people are concerned by contact with air..If this is ok then i need to syphon 3 lots over 3 days and test for roughly 1014 on the hydrometer yes?
Can i put test tube liquid back inthe bucket or throw away?

Take care if you have to open the fermentation vessel. I have a tap on mine so never lift the lid.
If you have a siphon or Wine Thief (turkey baster) then sanitize it and take a sample. Do not return sample to the fermentation vessel as that is inviting an infection of your beer.
Beer does not wear a watch and patience is a virtue. If you reckon it is finished then take a reading and leave it about 3 days before taking another reading to confirm it has indeed bottomed out.

Ahh,the thickness of the syphon tube is thicker than the hole that i put the rubber gromit in and connected the plastic tube that bubbled...i'll have to buy a baster...weird that the tubing was thicker than the hole on top of bucket...how else did they expect me to take readings.....everything needed to make your 1st brew it said...mmmm.

I would suggest that you leave the beer alone for an additional week or two. Even though your yeast may be technically done converting most of the sugars to alcohol and Co2 they still have quit a bit of work to do cleaning up after themselves.

To measure the gravity use a sanitized glass measuring cup to scoop out 1/3 of a cup of beer. After taking the measurement toss it out to lower the chance of infection.

Hi i've lifted the lid and ladelled out 100ml which i've put into the tube supplied with the wherry starter kit.
I then popped the hydrometer in and from my reckoning its 1.016,the very bottom of the red section on the hydrometer...the top of the liquid in the fermentation vessel has little bits floating in it is this normal?.....my temperature according to my boys room temp guage is 19.7....the batch was started exactly 7 days ago...
If everything is ok what does anybody suggest i do next...i have 36 pints so how much sugar would i add and earlier in this post someone mentioned using dextrose instead any ideas greatly appreciated..
Also i'm not trying to bash this out for xmas tho i am quite excited to try it,shall i leave it in the vessel for longer even tho it no longer bubbles as also mentioned in an earlier post...cheers

The beer looks like this..

ForumRunner_20121210_142405.jpg

It looks like it is coming along nicely. The floating bits are yeast rafts, and ate completely normal. Give it two days and take another reading. If it is still at 1.016 then it is safe to bottle. Tasty brew has a nice priming sugar calculator. About 2.5 oz of sugar should be good.

Thanks guys,when u say still fermenting a post earlier stated that the brew not bubbling is not a sign of fermentation end...As a newb i'm interested in as to why this is...i'll leave till weds and check again...i did drop the hydrometer in rather than place it a while ago and it was 1.014 not 1.016..

Bubbles only indicate a higher pressure inside the vessel than outside. This difference is normally associated with the CO2 being produced by the yeast, but there other sources. These include (but are not limited to) CO2 leaving the solution in the same way that a soda goes flat, changes in barometric pressure, and temperature changes.

Latest posts

Back