Hurricane Sandy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I say a brew comes out of this experience (or a recipe name, at least). We'll just have to see how bad it gets here in DC... With a little luck it won't be completely FUBAR. Stay safe, y'all.

I guess I missed this before, but I was thinking the same thing. I'll probably get at least one day off so I was thinking of doing a brew during the storm and giving it a hurricane related name.

I must admit, I'm a little worried. The eye is gonna park over my house and dump rain for about 3 days. This is my back yard last September when "Lee" went by.

flood 058.jpg

flood 053.jpg

Stay safe and dry, east coasters. Next time I get the itch to complain about living in the Midwest I'm going to shut the hell up and thank the gods that we don't get these big, nasty storms.

Certainly not looking forward to Sandy. They've already ordered the evacuation of the barrier islands such as Absecon Island (Atlantic City) by 4pm tomorrow. Since I work there, I guess that means I get a couple days off. I have everything from the yard secured, have plenty of food, water, propane, flashlights, candles and beer. I expect since this storm is forecasted to come right through my back yard, I expect we'll be without power for a week or better. I'm most concerned with the high winds coupled with all that rain bringing a tree down on the house or something. Guess I'll see you guys on the other side.

I'm filled up with propane, beer, CO2 and a generator. I'm not worried about looters--I'll just pass out brews and get 'em on my side :mug:

We got hit badly last year here in NJ--Irene, then a freak October snowstorm. I'm hoping it's mostly hype, but I figure I'm ready if not.

Evets said:
I must admit, I'm a little worried. The eye is gonna park over my house and dump rain for about 3 days. This is my back yard last September when "Lee" went by.

That's a good looking pizza oven. But why did you build it in the middle of a lake?

I built one too. Started it last spring, figured it would take a month or two. I did not factor in that we were going to get rain 6 days a week last year. So it took a little longer than planned to complete.

jaronimo said:
That's a good looking pizza oven. But why did you build it in the middle of a lake?

I built one too. Started it last spring, figured it would take a month or two. I did not factor in that we were going to get rain 6 days a week last year. So it took a little longer than planned to complete.

That's no pizza oven, that's the bell-fry on his castle!

Good question! I don't remember the lake being there when I built it!
Looks like you've got a beauty there yourself. I enjoyed your back yard cooking link!

My pipeline is all but empty. Had a brewday planned for today. Could pull it off, but temperature control for the next few days is questionable, so going to do storm prep instead.

What does this Sandy person have against New Jersey?

todd_k said:
If they want people to take these storms seriously, they should give them badass names like Hurricane Murder-thon 3000.

Haha! Lewis Black made a similar joke about hurricane names. I wouldn't be able to do it justice in text, you have to hear the delivery. If no one beats me to it, I'll see if I can find it and post it.

Haha! Lewis Black made a similar joke about hurricane names. I wouldn't be able to do it justice in text, you have to hear the delivery. If no one beats me to it, I'll see if I can find it and post it.

It may be a Lewis Black reference. I know it's from a comic, I don't remember who.

Maybe The Oatmeal?

It may be a Lewis Black reference. I know it's from a comic, I don't remember who.

Maybe The Oatmeal?

<a href="http://www.fileden.com/files/2012/10/28/3361451/LBHurrExcerpt.mp3">Here</a> it is. The part about the hurricane names is near the end, but the beginning part is funny and weather related as well. WARNING: This audio clip is definitely NSFW.

We are all set. Going to be bad I think. Hoping for the best. I'm a bit inland so we won't have the surges that the coastal towns will get. We live right where two branches of the Schuylkill river come together. We got major flooding here in '06.

And to think, two months ago I almost bought a beach house in Wildwood, NJ. Our plans changed and decided to hold off until the spring. If we had that house my weekend would be going very differently. Instead I'm just relaxing in the Philly burbs in my house that is on top of the mountain just off the river. All the schools in Philly are closed tomorrow so my wife has off. I still have to head into the homebrew shop last I heard. If I do manage to get the day off Monday I have a milled sack of grains waiting. I'll be standing in my garage watching the hurricane blow right over me. Brewicane 2012! More seriously, everybody stay safe and an advance thank you to all the people helping with damaged infrastructure and saving lives...

Wildwood is already flooded, good thing you didn't buy that house!

My mother just bought a house across the street from my grandmother in Bayville, NJ. They're on the bay side, which normally fares much better than the ocean side, but this time it may not matter.

For the first time in a very long time, I'm actually nervous about work. Can't shoot a hurricane if it gets out of hand. Also, I'd place drowning pretty close to last on my list of preferred ways to go out.

My mother just bought a house across the street from my grandmother in Bayville, NJ. They're on the bay side, which normally fares much better than the ocean side, but this time it may not matter.

For the first time in a very long time, I'm actually nervous about work. Can't shoot a hurricane if it gets out of hand. Also, I'd place drowning pretty close to last on my list of preferred ways to go out.

You can to shoot a hurricane.

Airborneguy said:
Also, I'd place drowning pretty close to last on my list of preferred ways to go out.

I went through Navy dive school in the 80's and the instructors purposely try to drown you. It sucks bad. I can still vividly remember every time. While any way of dying is going to suck, drowning is particulalry bad in my opinion.

i remember almost drowning as a kid. my older sister was making fun of me because i had to wear floaties. well f__k that, i don't need 'em....

turns out I did. i remember sitting at the bottom, looking up, thinking, I can't make it to the top. i'm probably going to die. i was about 6.

then i see this big splash and my dad diving straight down to come grab me. he was pretty pissed because he had to jump in with all his clothes on and his wallet got wet.

i remember almost drowning as a kid. my older sister was making fun of me because i had to wear floaties. well f__k that, i don't need 'em....

turns out I did. i remember sitting at the bottom, looking up, thinking, I can't make it to the top. i'm probably going to die. i was about 6.

then i see this big splash and my dad diving straight down to come grab me. he was pretty pissed because he had to jump in with all his clothes on and his wallet got wet.

I have a similar story!

Well, except I was, I don't know, maybe 30. And went swimming. I was only in 3 feet of water, but forgot which way was up. I couldn't figure out how to put my feet on the sand and stand up. My drunken friends thought this was hysterical, but the 4 year old waiting for the slide was not amused.

The irony? I'm a swimmer. I was a lifeguard in high school, and after highschool, and a competitive swimmer. I just was too drunk to recognize "up" from "down".

Ok, maybe my story isn't similar at all. Never mind.

It's not that bad. Just make sure you have lots of beer. A generator with lots of gas. Lots of food and candles. And enjoy your time off from work.

reminds me of the "how i met your mother" gameshow - "was I a kid, or was I drunk?"

the funniest part of my story was it repeated itself about 2 hours later.

Appreciate the first hand updates. Keep them coming if at all possible.

My wife has off at least tomorrow, probably Tuesday. I'm only working an hour or two first thing in the morning tomorrow, and probably not at all on Tuesday. We're getting some light rain and wind, but nothing dramatic yet.

I just found out I have tomorrow and possibly Tuesday off due to base closure. Even though we're not getting hit by the hurricane proper, we're still in that area that's expected to have ridiculous winds and a storm surge of 5-10 feet. Not exactly great for a submarine base. I sure am glad I live on a hill.

Lineman from NC here and packed for 2 weeks, headed that way soo.....hunker down and stay safe ....help is on the way.

My father was a lineman, 35 years. Many times he was out during storms and traveled to help others that were without power. Thanks for your help.

Just rainy and periodic wind gust right now. I live in an area with a lot of trees. Hope none fall on the house. I've had that happen before.

Good luck to everyone whose in the path of this. From my side of the Atlantic this thing looks a nightmare. Jeez in England the country grinds to a halt with a few inches of snow can't imagine what would happen with a storm like this.

I've got beer. I've got food. I had already scheduled the second half of the week off to burn off some "use it or lose it" vacation time.

I'll probably spend the storm trying to think of jokes: my sister-in-law is named Sandy.

Man, I can't believe this storm is still strengthening. Woke up and checked the latest updates. Sustained wind up to 85mph from 75mph when I went to bed.

Just started raining here. Thankfully the garbage men came right before it rained and I was able to get my cans inside before it got bad. The wind is steady and gusting pretty strong occasionally. I'm going to stay awake for a bit and try to decide whether I'm going to drive to work now or wait until later. I may not be able to get there later and I don't have the option of not going in.

From Virginia Beach here,....... I woke up to go to work this morning just to find that our power is still out. Not to mention some flooding in a few areas. (some will be really upset for not being able to get their coffee this morning. Seriously) I live about a mile or mile and a half from the beach, and so far just winds, and relentless rain!

Bithead said:
My father was a lineman, 35 years. Many times he was out during storms and traveled to help others that were without power. Thanks for your help.

Just rainy and periodic wind gust right now. I live in an area with a lot of trees. Hope none fall on the house. I've had that happen before.

Thanks...there are many,many lineman headed that way!

Back