Added Honey to my Big Texas Honey Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QBBC

Reaction score
Ok so this past sunday I brewed a Partial mash Honey wheat beer. I don't have my exact recipe on me right now, but i did use Honey malt in the grist. But anyway the brewing went well.when i added the cooled wort to the fermenter i only had 4 gal i wanted 5 so I was like when i add the 2lbs of honey ill just dilute it with an extra gallon of Reverse osmosis water.
I have read on here that you should add honey after 3 days of primary Fermentation.
last night i got my RO water up to 125f pulled it off the heat, stirred and added the honey, it dissolved very well and still had that "Honey Aroma" I cooled it down to about 75f and added it to the fermenter.

How long should i leave it in the fermenter after adding it?
Does anyone think my methods are wrong?

Thanks

Honey is fermentable, so you need to wait until the gravity stays consistent over the course of a few days. Not exactly sure why you would need to add honey after your beer is already fermenting. I usually just add it at the end of the boil, but no harm either way.

ok cool, I read that if you add honey at end of the boil you loose most of the "honey flavors" and aroma. I know thats why one should use honey malt to get those flavor profiles but since there is no "right way" I will post my results in about a month.

Back