Need some help with a Keg to Kettle Conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dshay

Reaction score
I just recently got three 15 gallon sanke kegs from my buddy. They look in really good condition, I payed $10 for each one so my investment so far isn't so bad. I took the tubes out of them, which took me a while until I found a video on Youtube that helped me out a lot. Two hours for the first keg turned into 20 minutes for the last two thanks to that video.

Anyways, I was hoping to get your guys input as for how to convert them to a hotliquer tank and a boil kettle for now. I am going to use a cooler for the mash tun for now until I get a little more experience, and then convert the last keg to a mash tun.

I have been looking at Brewhardware.com and I am thinking about ordering the 3 piece ball valve with dip tub option and a sight glass with the thermometer option.

Whats your guy's inputs or tips? What have you guys done or recommend me to do? Any tips or inputs would help a lot.

Sorry for writing a book on here. lol

Cheers :mug:

There are dozens of ways you could go, and lots of great reading on the subject. Just search for keggles or keg conversion.

I would also recommend bargainfittings.com. Lots of info on keg conversion and fabulous prices for just about anything you could want in stainless. Great service!

good luck!
PLOVE

you should price out some parts on www.bargainfittings.com. They have very competitive prices.

I created my keggle HLT and brew kettle about a year ago. Like you, I stuck with the cooler mashtun. One thing I would recommend would be to consider upgrading from the stainless braid filter to a false bottom. I think that the braid is not strong enough to withstand the weight of 10+ gallon batches.

While it depends a little on how you are setting up your stand, I personally think the hlt should have a valve thermometer and a sight glass, mash tun and bk should have just a thermometer and valve. As far as 3pc or not, I would not bother on the hlt, otherwise if you want to go for it, they look nice. (I use brass personally)

Sounds good so far guys. I looked at bargain fittings, of course there are many items that I want to buy on there, lol. I tend to have that problem on every brewstore/website. But I think I am going to go ahead and order from brewhardware. Has anyone used their products, and can vouch for them? I have seen a few other posts about them, and just want to make sure before I decide to pull the trigger.

Anyways, as far as the dip tub goes. The kit I would buy comes with a dip tub that goes to the cent of the keggle. Should I get on that collects on the side of the keggle instead? If I decide to whirlpool that way I do not collect straight from the hop pile, right? Just trying to make sense of it before I purchase. thanks for everything guys I really appreciate the help.

No disrespect to my fellow vendors, but 99% chance that the video that he mentioned that was so helpful was produced by yours truly. I could be wrong.

Anyway, when you get a SS diptube with the compression fitting, you can actually reverse the orientation of the diptube to pick up off to the side. It will hit about mid way up the concave wall leaving a little more than a quart of trub in the dish.

haha, yeah Bobby you were right on with the video. Saved me a lot of time.

Anyways, everything looked good on your website. I plan on ordering a 3 piece ball valve with the compression fitting and the SS dip tube. Along with the 2 inch thermometer and sight glass combo Everything I plan on order is the weldless versions.

I wanna order the little sight glass brush that I saw was on back order until tomorrow actually. If I would happen to order tonight or tomorrow, would that mean be sent out tomorrow or would I have to wait longer for the brushes?

Thanks for everything

I'm not sure the brushes are coming tomorrow exactly. That was just an estimate the manufacturer gave me. If you're not in a hurry, throw your email on the newsletter sign up on the main page and I'll send an email when they get in.

Signed up on the website, sounds good. I'll probably just wait for the brushes to come in then to make my order, a little eager to start on the conversion tho ;) Anyways I think I might try to polish my one keg and see how that goes. Just as you have it posted under your link. This is starting to get a little of topic from the post topic, I'm sorry guys, but what was the average amount of $ and hours you had to spend on getting one shinny keg as you had in your picture?

Thanks again,

I just received my 3-peice ball valve, bulk head and dip tube along with a sight glass and thermometer from bobby today. Everything looks top notch and I can't wait to install it all tomorrow.

Sounds like you got pretty much what I expect to be ordering, keep us posted as to how well they install and how you like them.

cheers :mug:

Back