5 gallon rum barrel, can I switch it to a whiskey barrel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atl300zx

Reaction score
I bought one of the charred five gallon rum barrels sold here on the forum. After a couple of beers being aged in there (refilling with a cup of rum when stored between batches), I would prefer to change it over to whiskey. Each time I put a cup of rum in there the barrel would absorb it over a month or so. That is why I thought it might work. Any thoughts?

Sorry I can't answer your question but slightly :off:can you store barrels dry but for a cup of liquor? I thought you had to keep them filled with something.

Bourbon and whiskey almost always uses a new barrel (always with bourbon), whereas scotch, tequila, and rum will use once used bourbon barrels. Id say no or you will almost certainly pick up off flavors.

Sorry I can't answer your question but slightly :off:can you store barrels dry but for a cup of liquor? I thought you had to keep them filled with something.

Well i just put another beer in there for 5 days and it was empty essentially when i put it in b/c the rum had all absorbed. Im sure there is some shrinkage of the wood, but it didnt leak....

Latest posts

Back