Bagging Hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JillC25

Reaction score
I just bought a fine mesh bag to put my hops in during the boil. I've seen this done before and it makes sense to keep things not-so-messy. Then today while listening to a beer pod-cast, a master brewer came on saying that the hop bags are a bad idea bc the hops don't get incorperated in the wort as much as they do when they are loose/floating around.

Opinions?

Thanks!

JillC25 said:
I just bought a fine mesh bag to put my hops in during the boil. I've seen this done before and it makes sense to keep things not-so-messy. Then today while listening to a beer pod-cast, a master brewer came on saying that the hop bags are a bad idea bc the hops don't get incorperated in the wort as much as they do when they are loose/floating around.

Opinions?

Thanks!

Yes, I've always heard that using the bag will decrease utilization, and it makes sense. Less surface area exposed to the boiling wort.

Hop sludge is reality....unless you use whole hops!

Back