can screw top bottles be corked??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

perschml

Reaction score
Well can they?? haha I got a bunch of free bottles and some of them were screw top wine bottles and I wanted to cork them when I bottle..

Can it be done??

Thanks!

I had the same question myself - to answer it, I attempted to cork the bottles with nothing in them. I had a few that had very small necks, so would be easy to inadvertently dump the cork when uncorking, and may not seal as well with less neck "real estate," but otherwise, they all worked.

There are a couple of trains of thought with this.
1) physically, in most cases, it can be done
2) it doesn't have the greatest presentation, if that's not an issue for you, then ok
3) the glass at the threads is more prone to breakage, be careful
4) getting the cork out can sometimes be a problem because you don't have the thick glass to pry against.

I don't use any screwcap bottles myself for these reasons, but I've got enough of the standard bottles to suit my needs. Only you can decide if it's worth the expense or effort to get cork wine bottles.

I recycle all of my screw top bottles people donate. I have never tried to cork a screw top, but I've been warned that the screw top bottles aren't thick enough around the cork to support the pressure of the cork and may crack or shatter.

Don't be a chicken, I have used them many times without fail. Never had one break or crack at all. I use them in the winery for holding samples to test at different temperatures before I blend the wines.

I have read the biggest problem with reusing the screw on caps is them sealing...What if you prep the cap by boiling it and then screwing it on and using sealing wax to dip the bottle neck in?

Latest posts

Back