Simcoe Pairing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PorterIV

Reaction score
I am looking to brew an APA on Wednesday. I love Simcoe hops but not all by themselves. Does anyone have a recommended pairing for them?

I was thinking of Citra to try something new, but am open to anything (Amarillo, Chinook and Centennial have also come to mind).

Probably would be doing just Simcoe for bittering and then it along with the other hop for flavor/aroma/dry.

Thanks!

I enjoy the combination of Simcoe and Amarillo.

"Merry Christmas. Sh!tter was full"

I 3rd the Amarillo w Simcoe :) good stuff! I just found a few bottles from my last batch of am/sim. I'll have to throw one in the fridge to see how its changed with age.

Simcoe and Amarillo are like the yin and yang for APAs/IPAs, IMO.

Simcoe is very piney and resin-y, Amarillo is a citrus bomb. Fantastic combo.

Wow. That is a lot of good information. I think I will probably go with the Amarillo this time around and try one of the others next time.

Thanks so much.

I like the Simcoe/Cascade combo although the next IPA I brew will be with Simcoe/Citra.
I've only used the Citra in an APA as a dry hop addition and was very pleased with it.
I'm sitting on a pound of 2010 Citra leaf and just have to get it into the mix.
Bull

I read all over the internet and in books "piney an resin" for Simcoe but I NEVER get those flavors. I get Passion fruit, particularly with Amarillo in both my house IPA and a rye pale ale I brew. FWIW and YMMV. Oh and I love the Amarillo/Simcoe combination as well!

Just as an update - I went with the Simcoe/Amarillo combo and would say this is the best APA I have made yet. Rave reviews.

That is such a great combo! I'm glad you went with it! I made my batch 5 months ago and have 1 bomber left. I tried one a few weeks ago, and man did it age well! It hit 7%, and really started getting some complex flavors! Like a strong ale/imperial flavor but nice and balanced with passion/grapefruit! Now I wish I had more than 1 bomber left, but that is the great thing about bottling some of your batch-being able to try one 5 months later!

I brewed a Simcoe SMaSH IPArecently and it is almost all gone and loved universally! I am not sure why anyone dislikes this hop, by itself or in combination it is truly my favorite.

FWIW

sds

Back