First Allgrain day!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sweet nice pics. I've done a couple PM's and it always helps to see the pictures in the order of operation. How did that cooler do at holding temps? I have the same one but havent converted it yet-only holds cold beer so far.

It held temp real well, for probably two reasons. 1) I overheated my initial strike water in order to get the cooler to suck up some heat, and 2) I put some big thick towells on top of it to help hold the temp. One think I think I'll be doing is making a floating lid outta some foam insulation wrapped in tinfoil to minimize the open space in my tun.

Man, that thing was heavy enough to lift as is. I had enough room, since I stick with 5 gallon batches. I will upgrade when I start using a propane burner. Not allowed to since I live in an apartment.

that's an igloo cube 60 quart cooler. very popular with all-grainers. i think most of us started with a hefe. welcome to ag :)

I actually scared myself about it more than I needed too (just like my first tattoo). My temps were close, and SG was good enough. The yeast went ape and made me use a blow off tube. So all in all, I'm looking forward to the next time.

Except for the fact that my dog crapped the carpet while I was trying to clean up.

Back