Flaked Maize?!? PLease Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was planning on adding 1.25oz of Flaked Maize (Pre-gelatenized), to lighten the body and add a tad more sugar, to my 32IBU Pale Ale. When should I add during the 60 minute boil. Also in Joy of Homebrewing, Papazian claims, that "flaked grains have been precooked and not need be boiled" What does this mean, when am I suppose to add, and also what does Pregelatenized mean and should I be using something else?

Please Help me, for I am planning on starting the batch within the hour.

Thanks

HH

humboldthomebrew said:
I was planning on adding 1.25oz of Flaked Maize (Pre-gelatenized), to lighten the body and add a tad more sugar, to my 32IBU Pale Ale. When should I add during the 60 minute boil. Also in Joy of Homebrewing, Papazian claims, that "flaked grains have been precooked and not need be boiled" What does this mean, when am I suppose to add, and also what does Pregelatenized mean and should I be using something else?

Please Help me, for I am planning on starting the batch within the hour.

Thanks

HH
You may want to wait a bit. I've never used them but I'm pretty sure they need to me mashed with malted barley so the enzymes can convert the starches to sugar. I'm looking at Charlie P's book (P 254) and I think he is saying that flaked corn does not have to be cooked before it is added to the mash.

I think they need to be mashed as well. I would think 1.25 oz. would not make that big of a difference anyway.

hey thanks, i think im going to leave it out this time, ill try later when im doing a mash maybe for a nice pilsner or something.

You might have misread the recipe, even 1.25 pounds is not a lot. I use 3 lbs in my cream ale which is about average for the style.

The corn goes into the mash, not the boil.

You will need to mash the flaked maize. If you want to lighten the body during the boil, you can add corn sugar or maybe some rice syrup.

Pregelatenized - means the starches have been cooked into a form that will dissolve readily. You still have to mash it to convert the starch to sugar.

[I do hope that 1.25 oz. was a typo, 1.25 lbs would make more sense.]

Back