New Rims System with Video...need advise

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckeyebrewer

Reaction score
We just finished our RIMS cart. I love it, but of course we are modifying it after each brew.

We ran into a few issues along the way of our second brewing session with the system. We had a hard time trying to get the march pump to prime itself. We have the pump running with output toward the top. There's an arrow on the pump housing which is facing up and as you can see in the video the pump is only 6" below the MT and BK spigots. The pump doesn't work so good this way. Most time we have to flip the pump on and off a few times and when it runs it certainly doesn't flow at a rate of 7 gal/min like it's rated to do. So we are flipping the pump vertically (straight up and down) to fix problem. I decided to do so after reading this.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/new-10-gallon-herms-pics-76773/

Another thing we need to address is the inline aeration system we want to build. We have a Blinchmann therminator and would like to run cooled wort through something like this.

http://morebeer.com/view_product/16613/102281/Stainless_in-line_Oxygenation_Assembly

....but I don't want to pay $98 bucks for it and I don't want a thermometer in it either. We already have the Blinchmann Thrumometer. So I want to build this myself and in order to do so I need to find one of these, which Morebeer is currently out of:

http://morebeer.com/view_product/16618/102281/1_2"_MPT_Oxygen_Stone_-_2_Micron

Do they (the people at morebeer) make these? Or can you order them from somewhere else...Morebeer has been out of stock for awhile? I've looked online everywhere. I need to thread it into 1/2NPT or something.....tough finding a 2micron stone that has a threaded fitting. I am getting a disposable O2 tank from HD and regulators are easy to find and fairly inexpensive.
All in all the RIMS cart is awesome. I could go on and on....if you have any questions feel free to let em rip....thanks for all of the help along the way to here.....I feel like I owe each and every member a pint for all of the help along the way :mug:

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking good...

I hope my RIMS works as well... never used a RIMS

Your RIMS for dummies was the eye opener. Can't thank you enough for all of the insight.....the heatstick is brilliant!!!! It's like the Showtime Rotisserie ....set it and forget it !!!!!!

haha I just posted a similar thread earlier today. I ran into a lot of trouble with my RIMS. I used it for the first time last night. I had trouble priming the pump as well. I have the same heat exchanger as you.

Subscribed.

Looks Awesome!
Im over in Blacklick, would love to stop over on a brew day and check it out in action!

Back