Saison BBD Saison Furtif

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok so maybe one of you can help me here. I brewed this on tuesday and took a pre boil SG reading to see how my mash went, i got a reading of 1.020 @165 degrees, which i believe temperature corrects out to 1.043??? boiled for the hour, added my LME(scaled it back to 2 pounds) with ten minutes to go, chilled and poured 4 gallons into the fermentor. topped with a gallon of water to make 5 Gals. took a Hydro reading and got 1.040?! is my Hydrometer jacked from the hot wort before or did I f up somewhere?

If you're worried about your hydrometer, you can always test it in pure water. It should read 1.000.

You cut the LME by over half. That's going to lighten up this beer quite a bit.

nice recipe, chshrecat!

have you tried experimented with pitch rate, fermentation temp, oxygen, etc? i know the 3711 will perform under all kinds of conditions but i was curious if you had messed with these variables and seen an impact in the flavor and aroma.

I used WLP566 which many think is the same as 3711 and fermented in the upper 70's. I mainly did this because it was my 4th or 5th and at that point temp control wasn't my main concern. Based off what I've experienced with a couple other Saisons I've made the higher temp contributes some citrus, more like lemon, but seems to start fading after 6 months.

I know I'm stirring up an old thread, but I am wondering if anyone came up with a good extract version of this? My pot is fairly small. I think 5 or 6 gallons. If so, some instructions would be greatly appreciated.

I was thinking about trying this saison in a bucket that recently was brewing a cooper's real ale that got some kind of an infection (beer still turned out OK).

Thanks!

Alright, you crazies made me do it!!

Stared this batch on Sunday.

1 lb crystal 20L
1/3 lb crystal 80L
Steeped for 30 min at 165

6 lbs Pilsen light DME 1/2 @ 60, 20min
1 lb wheat DME @ 60
1 oz centennial @ 60
.5 oz saaz @ 20
Whirlfloc tab @ 15min
.5 saaz @ 10 min
1oz hersbrucker @ 10min
2 tsp Bruvigor @flameout
Wyeast 3711
1 lb cane sugar (few days in)

Filled to 5.5 gallons Pitched @ 75
OG 1.067

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

brewed this over 2 years ago, and saved a 12-pack. Its aged EXTREMELY well. its malty and spicy, but very drinkable. Doesn't taste like 8% ABV at all. Dangerously good.

Plan to rebrew an all-grain version soon with fruit/spices

Back