Wyeast Thames Valley / Manny's Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jknapp

Reaction score
I just bottled a "Manny's Clone" last night. I used Wyeast Thames Valley. In attempting to keep the clone as an Unfiltered Pale Ale, I didn't use any Irish Moss or other finings.

After 7 days in primary, and another 12 days in the 2ndary, the beer was still quite cloudy (that's fine though, I kind of wanted that).

I carried the carboy up the stairs to my kitchen and the airlock started building pressure and bubbled a few times. Upon closer inspection, there were clumps of yeast riding a beer elevator up and down from the bottom to the top. I guessed this was just from the little bit of agitation from moving the carboy. I worried that maybe it was still fermenting, but it seemed to settle down after 10 minutes.

I bottled as usual. This morning there is an 1/8th inch of sediment on the bottom, which seems like a lot. Also if I move the bottles a little, I see there is yeast that starts to fall down from the liquid line in the neck of the bottle.

Is this what the term "low flocculating yeast" means? Do you think the majority will settle out in 3 weeks? I'd like the finished product to be a bit cloudy, but I'm thinking I'll have a 1/4" of sediment if it does drop out.

That stuff doesn't floc very well at all. I use it all the time. I generally secondary it (I know I know...) and fine it, as well as crash cool it. Crash cooling seems to work pretty well.

Last time I used it I got more yeast than usual in the bottles, it all settled down after a few days and the beer was perfectly clear.

Back