Pumpkin beer and steeping grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arrup85

Reaction score
I'm going to be making my first pumpkin beer tomorrow and I just had a quick question about steeping grains. The one gallon recipe I have made includes 1.25lbs of dried malt extract, and I was going to steep 5oz of Carmel 40L. Is this too much? I know a pound of steeping grain is typical for a 5 gallon batch, but keeping that ratio I would only steep 3.2oz. Yet that doesn't seem like it will give the color I'm looking for. What are the cons of steeping too much grain and is 5oz too much for a 1 gallon batch?

I suppose the downside of steeping too much caramel malt is that you will get too much caramel sweetness. But 5 ounces doesn't seem like too much to me.

5 ozs in a 1 gallon batch is the same as 1.5 lbs in 5 gallon batch. That seems too much to me, especially since this is an extract batch. 3 ozs would seem more reasonable.

Back