Replacement power adapter for Tower Cooler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimf15e

Reaction score
I bought a keg tower cooler from TowerCooler.com a couple of years back and have misplaced the power adapter after a few moves. Does anyone know the specs (plug size, output)? I've emailed but haven't heard back from them in a couple of days. Thanks.

Jim

Do you know the voltage (and wattage) the unit requires? It should be stamped on the housing to be UL compliant. Then use any power adapter with the same specs or better yet, a bit more wattage capacity.

Unfortunately there's nothing marked - it's kind of a homebuilt project box built by a guy and sold on a website. I'm assuming it's a 110V - 5V adapter but don't know for sure. I'll ping the site again and see if I get a response. Thanks though!

I just read the page (yowsers!), it's powering a fan!

You're probably right, try with a 5V 2-3A adapter and see. If you can open it, the fan may have a sticker on it. Got an old PC power supply laying around? 3.3V (orange), 5V (red), and 12V (yellow) right at your hand, and plenty of amps to deliver. Bridge the green wire to one of the black ones (ground) with a paper clip to get it to turn on.

Great advice, especially the idea of opening the box (picture me slapping my forecranium), thank you very much. I think I do have an old PS at home somewhere, I'll give that a shot.

In the interim I'll measure the socket. I was afraid of burning up the fan but doubt I will at that low a voltage.

The website says less than a 15W nightlight (bulb). Start at the low voltage first of course and see if it runs.

You could measure the current, if you have one of those meters. At 5V less than 3 Amp. At 12V that would be 1.2 Amp or so. 5V and 12V are most common.

Anticlimactic ending... Found the original adapter. It's a 12v, 1A brick but I haven't measured the tip size. Thanks for all the help Lizard!

Latest posts

Back