No-name Oxy-pro (generic oxiclean in Canada)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhys333

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey, everyone,

I decided to buy some Oxiclean for tricky equipment like my auto-syphon and tubing. I went with the No Name brand Oxy-pro available at Superstore and No Frills (Canada). It seems to be unscented though the label says nothing about this either way. Anybody else using this as a PBW alternative? Also, what concentration should I be using? The label recommends 1 scoop (2 tbsp) per regular laundry load.

Thanks in advance.

Can anybody advise on this?

I went ahead and mixed 1 tbsp in 1.5 gal water and I notice the stuff is very slick and oily at this ratio. Wondering if I should dilute more to reduce filming...

I don't about that stuff, but I use Oxyclean Free all the time. I use about 2/3 scoop or so to clean each item (ie. Fermenter, Kettle, Mash tun) and it works like a charm. It also rinses off very nicely. Have you used regular Oxyclean? As for that stuff, it's probably the same basic ingredients, just don't know if there's a perfume in it. However, prior to using Free I've used scented Oxyclean and it never was a problem. I do rinse very thoroughly however.

Rev.

Thanks for the feedback Rev. I didn't notice any scent when I used it last night, and it seemed to work well. The oily film rinsed off pretty easily too.

Well I ran out of Superstore Oxi-pro and decided to try the Walmart brand. I'm not keen on this stuff. It leaves an oily residue that's hard to get rid of. Washed my hands 3 times and its still there! Think I'll leave this for laundry and go back to the Superstore stuff

Well I ran out of hSuperstore Oxi-pro and decided to try the Walmart brand. I'm not keen on this stuff. It leaves an oily residue that's hard to get rid of. Washed my hands 3 times and it's still there! Think I'll leave this for laundry and go back to the Superstore stuff
Damn I'll make sure to avoid that

Back