1187 Ringwood

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRHunter

Reaction score
I bought 2 Wyeast 1187 Ringwood Activators from 2 separate LHBS's. I let them both warm up, broke the nutrient packet, mixed everything up real well, and then waited 4 hours. Neither one "inflated" as other Wyeast yeasts that I have used. Is this normal? The main reason I am asking is that now 16 hours after pitching two packages of yeast I am not seeing any fermentation activity. The wort has a gravity of 1.080, was well aerated, and has been at a stable 70 degrees. Any input would be appreciated, thanks.

What was the date on the packages? Unless they're way expired or were both really badly handled, you should be ok.

I've heard that these packets don't always inflate well, you may have not mixed them well enough, etc. I'd pitch them anyway, as the mixing actually has nothing to do with making the yeast, it's just some food and nutrient to "proof" the yeast.

If you don't have any activity after 24 hours, might want to go get some dry yeast, though with 2 packs from separate stores, that seems unlikely.

What was the date on the packages? Unless they're way expired or were both really badly handled, you should be ok.

I've heard that these packets don't always inflate well, you may have not mixed them well enough, etc. I'd pitch them anyway, as the mixing actually has nothing to do with making the yeast, it's just some food and nutrient to "proof" the yeast.

If you don't have any activity after 24 hours, might want to go get some dry yeast, though with 2 packs from separate stores, that seems unlikely.

Both packages were manufactured on the same day, November 30, 2010. But they have different batch numbers on them. I was just wondering if the 1187 yeast was known for slow fermentation, either inside the package or outside.

I have never used the Ringwood but have read and heard a lot about it. From what I hear, it ferments like mad and finishes within 2-3 days.

I plugged your numbers into mrmalty and according to yeast age and OG you should have pitched 7.2 packs of yeast without a starter. I am guessing that is why you are seeing a lag, thats a pretty good underpitch.

That sounds rather extreme. I think you should be OK, as long as the yeast was well handled prior to your receipt of it. Good luck, and try to RDWHAH.

I have never used the Ringwood but have read and heard a lot about it. From what I hear, it ferments like mad and finishes within 2-3 days.

I plugged your numbers into mrmalty and according to yeast age and OG you should have pitched 7.2 packs of yeast without a starter. I am guessing that is why you are seeing a lag, thats a pretty good underpitch.

That makes sense. Not good news, but it does explain a lot.

in before revvy.

signs of fermentation can take up to 3 days. wait it out. also probably didnt pitch enough cells they are sexing it up and multiplying so they can do the work all at once. let them have their fun.

in before revvy.

signs of fermentation can take up to 3 days. wait it out. also probably didnt pitch enough cells they are sexing it up and multiplying so they can do the work all at once. let them have their fun.

I was more concerned about the Activation Packs not inflating. Thee were the first packs that didn't swell up in just a few hours.

But I guess the big question is what should I do now? Obviously I severely under pitched my yeast. Do I just wait it out? Or is there something I should be doing to remedy the situation?

signs of fermentation can take up to 3 days

Not so much with the ringwood strain. That strain is known for taking off right away and fermenting fully in 2-3 days.

I just listened to one of the BN shows last week and they had the brewer who started at the Ringwood brewery at the beginning. He was talking about the yeast and said that it ferments like crazy and finishes very fast, in like 2-3 days when pitched at proper levels. I have never actually used it myself so all the information I know is what the original brewer said, which I would take as law.

I was more concerned about the Activation Packs not inflating. Thee were the first packs that didn't swell up in just a few hours.

But I guess the big question is what should I do now? Obviously I severely under pitched my yeast. Do I just wait it out? Or is there something I should be doing to remedy the situation?

I would give it another day and look for bubbles. Depending on your dedication, you could pitch a third pack, or scrap your ringwood plans and go for something cheap. Chances are that there's viable ringwood in there, and pitching something else will likely give you a mixed fermentation.

I've used it number if times and have never had the smack pack inflate. This is normal for 1187.

Not that it is surprising, but after 36 hours the beer is bubbling away very nicely now. My only concern is the severe under pitch of yeast and what it may do to the beer. I guess I need to make Mr. Malty a part of my regular brewing routine.

Latest posts

Back