7 gallon water cooler for mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mynamestanner

Reaction score
What do you guys think of this cooler to be converted to a mash tun?

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=7999982
0007915411623_215X215.jpg

I want to make the step to all-grain brewing, but will still be doing 5 gallon batches for awhile. Seems like the perfect size to me. Room to do some heavier beers, but not a lot of extra head-space if i do some lighter gravity stuff.

Thanks!

Well, if you buy the "right" one, whichever one that is, you won't need to buy again. I bought a 10 gallon igloo, and still haven't made a 10 gallon batch. But I use it all the time for my 5 gallon batches, and am very happy. If you know that you will absolutely never make a big barleywine or go to 10 gallon batches, the 7 gallon will probably do fine. I've never maxed out my cooler yet, but I've done some step infusions and decoctions, and been very happy to have the extra space!

Depends on which sparging method you employ...

One that's short and fat like that one will have more dead volume on the bottom. That is, space below where the drain connects. A taller and skinnier one will have less dead volume, so you can drain more wort out of it.

That said, I'm sure it will work fine.

I have a five gallon igloo cooler for three gallon batches and it works great!

I started with a 5 Gallon Igloo and ended up going with a 10 Gallon soon after. I am new to all grain but I have learned quickly to buy the next size up of whatever you think you need. Also if you start working with a group or club remember that equipment can malfunction and if you have an extra around its not big deal. This happened to us on May 3 Brew Day. The MLT we were using sprang a large leak so we just grabbed mine and didn't miss a step. Its nice when you and your friends have comparable equipment.

Thanks guys! I think i'm going to run over to Walmart right now (gotta love second shift) and snag the rectangular cooler. Bigger and cheaper works for me. I'm just starting out anyways.

I appreciate your help, and I'll keep you guys updated as I build my MLT.

Thanks guys! I think i'm going to run over to Walmart right now (gotta love second shift) and snag the rectangular cooler. Bigger and cheaper works for me. I'm just starting out anyways.

I appreciate your help, and I'll keep you guys updated as I build my MLT.

Did you have any look finding it? I went to my walmart last night, and all they had were the 5 gallons (for 18 bucks.) Actually the 7 gallon looks to have a lower profile than the 5...I have a space problem in the loft, so I was hoping for something not as big in size....

I have a 5 and 10 gal rubbermaid cooler like the one pictured. I usually use the 5gal because i lose less heat during the mash...less headspace.

i only do 5 gallon batches right now,and never really big beers. you can always do two sparges for really big beers anyhow.

I bit the space bullet and got the 5 gallon igloo for 20 bucks from wally world today...Just got to find a place to stash it in the loft when I'm not using it...Maybe cover it with a sheet and use it as an end table...

I just bought 2 of these today. They are pretty much a shorter version of the 10 gallon, the y both use the same size false bottom, 12". Midwest sells the same cooler for $60 not including shipping. I know I'll never do 10 gallon batches so the 7g's will be good enough for me.

Been using one of these ever since I went AG about a year ago and it's great for 5 gal batches as long as you don't have a ridiculously large grain bill...

that's awesome! according to green bay rackers mash calc you could do 20lbs @1qt/lbs in 7 gallons....sweet.

The 5 gallon probably would have been fine for me, but the 2 extra g's won't hurt. It's amazing how much cheaper these coolers are when you don't buy them from a HBS...

That should be fine but it is always better to go with a 10 gallo one...you will thank me when you really get into this hobby:). I just bought a 70qt recantuglar cooler and never looked back

That should be fine but it is always better to go with a 10 gallo one...you will thank me when you really get into this hobby:). I just bought a 70qt recantuglar cooler and never looked back

+1 I went with an 80qt and some days wish I would have sprang for the 100qt.

edit.... I think I just found my Next MLT

Back