Been wanting to start for a while

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Metalgear753

Reaction score
Today is my 21st birthday, and I've had a taste for beer for a while as well as an interest to brew my own. Now that I can finally legally brew my own, I just wanted to get beginner advice and the approximate start up cost for all equipment. I generally have a taste for things like Killian's and Dead Guy's Ale type beers. Thanks and I just wanted to introduce myself!

Start up cost can vary ALOT. Do you have a turkey fryer or any large stock pots? Alot of people boil 2 or 3 gallons or so then top off(assuming 5 gallon batches).I started with a turkey fryer because I already had it,could boil roughly 5 gallons but had to top off to account for boil off. You can also start with 1 or 2 gallon batches and most likely will not need much in the way of equipment.

Keep an eye out on living social and groupon. I know Midwest being supplies puts a deal up on there about every other month. I got mine for $35 from Annapolis homebrew on living social (half off). Then about $40 for an extract ingredients kit.

Brewerbear is right though, you can spend as much or as little as you want on this hobby. And a brew kettle (large stock pot) and burner or a powerful stove is the first big investment if you don't already have one. doing partial boils or small batches is a way to avoid the large up front cost for a kettle.

You can start looking on craig's list, just search "brew". And start saving your pry off bottles.

In addition to the equipment kit and ingredients kit, pick up a copy of How to Brew by Palmer so you understand the process and produce a successful first batch. The online brew stores have the best prices, but also try to find a local home brew shop for last minute ingredients or equipment.

Look for a good brew equipment kit like shown above. Look for a stainless steel pot (4-5 gallon capacity). You can usually pick up a 4 gallon stainless stock pot for about $20-30.

Dead Guy Ale Recipe

4 lb Dry light Dry Malt Extract (DME)
3.3 lbs of Liquid Munich Extract (LME)
1 lb of Carastan Malt or sub a 45L British Crystal Malt (steep in 155 deg water for 20 minutes)
3.5 gallons of water

Boil for 60 minutes adding
1.5 oz Perle at 60 minutes
Whirlfloc Tablet at 15 minutes
1 oz of SAAZ at flameout

Cool and top off to 5 gallons in primary fermentation bucket
pitch a Package of Fermentis S-05 ale yeast

Ferment at 65-70 deg F for two to three weeks and bottle

There are rumors that you can get a good deal on craigslist, but all I ever see is overpriced equipment that has been used and abused. I second the look for a groupon suggestion, heck call them and ask when and where they are running the next one.

Wow thank you for all the replies and birthday wishes. I forgot to check back because all week I've been studying for midterms and then I had my party this weekend...I moved out of my parents house a couple months back, and I'm in an apartment so I have just the essentials right now. I'd have to spring for all the materials. That website for the kit seems to be having troubles right now so I'm going to have to look at it later. The stove I have now is kind of weak and frankly a bit small so I might even have to snag some sort of burner. That recipe sounds good and I think I'll start with that as well as finding a copy of that book. There is a Homebrew USA about 20 minutes from my house; does anyone have an opinion on that place? Maybe I can go in person to work out and actually see what I need to buy and then do so on the Internet. Anyway thanks again.

Back