what to brew for BMC lovers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerChef17

Reaction score
Ok so when I brew it pretty much ends up being for myself and my neighbor up the street. And my friends if they are lucky enough to come visit while any is still left. Anyways mom has been pestering me for some time now to brew her something she will like. Her favorite beer is Michalob Light - at least it isn't ultra....right?

So I wanted to start a compendium of recipes I can brew for her enjoyment.Unfortunately Lagering is out for me as I don't have a temp controlled freezer/fridge unit as of yet.

I have come across this recipe, but am looking for more to add to my recipe book. Anymore have some good recipes that your friends with not so quite refined palates love?

yeah I figured the cream ale would be a good starting platform. I should mention she hates hops the taste smell and everything in between. So she is more of a malt lover...although I'm pretty sure she doesn't really know what true malt tastes like :p

Try Northern Brewer's Patersbier recipe. It's light colored and not bitter, so it doesn't scare off the BMC crowd. As it ages, I've had dark fruit flavors develop. I just harvested yeast from my last bottle of the first batch, so I can brew it again.

I have seen California commons work well on my friends/family that are BMC lovers. Along with cream ales and blondes.

Because everyone loves a blonde...

I third the Kolsch. Just started drinking my first Kolsch. Great crisp, beautiful beer.

I brewed a combination of EdWort's and Yooper's pale ale recipes for a gathering last summer that I knew would have a lot of non-craft brew drinkers. Both are fairly malt-forward pale ales, and not overly hoppy, and the resultant ale was very well received by the crowd. I left with a tiny fraction of what I arrived with!

I've found that any well balanced ale will suit the BMC drinkers at my brewery. Anything that is not too roasty or too bitter always has pleased my crowds. May Mojave Red has turned some opinions with people saying they usually done like dark beers. I just tell them that it is not a dark beer. I usually have a dark beer to let them taste too. I've made some dark American lagers that really impress those lighter beer drinkers too. It's all about balance.

It might be a stretch, but a petit saison might not be a bad idea. No over-the-top hops, and sort of spritzy and wheat-y. The stretch part may be the yeasty flavors.

I find the even a Kolsch can have too much noticeable hop presence for the BMC crowd. Believe it or not, I've had more success with Belgian styles, particularly Wits, Saisons, and, amazingly, Triples.

Fruit beers also go over well.

Latest posts

Back