Rogue brewery hazelnut clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewbuck57

Reaction score
Hello all, Just had a rogue hazelnut at a bar in the Long Beach marina and enjoyed it very much. So I was wondering if anyone had a clone recipe for this brew.

Even better. You can have *the* recipe. Rogue's Hazelnut Brown started out as a homebrew recipe, and they've released the original recipe in the past. The original hazelnut extract they used is no longer available, so I used an organic roasted hazelnut extract.

8.5lb 2 row
1.5lb munich
1.2lb caramel 80
.55lb brown malt
.35lb caramel 10
.35lb caramel 120
.25lb pale chocolate

Mash at 154

25IBU Pearle @ 60m
10IBU Saaz @ 30m

Ferment at 68 with WLP001, Wy#1056, or SA-05.

Add 20ml (or to taste) hazelnut extract at bottling.

To address your question first, the hop addition is listed as IBU's instead of weight. The weight needed will depend on the AA% of the hops you are using.

But a little word of advice when using the hazelnut extract. Start SMALL. You can add, but you can't take away. It doesn't take much to get flavor from extracts.

I debated about whether to revive such an old post, but...

I brewed this, and I bought Hazelnut extract from Amoretti (http://amoretti.com/) -- They have a "Hazelnut, Praline," that isn't listed on their website, which is what I bought. It has a great smell, and the beer tasted great at bottling time. I'll let you know how it is after it carbs up.

For anyone who gets that extract, I tried two different volumes, 20ml and 10ml (in 5 gallons - This was a 10-gallon batch). l'll let you know how it turns out, but right now my impression is that 20ml was too much.

The beer has now carbed up, and it tastes great! Unfortunately, even at 10ml, the hazelnut flavor is a little bit too "out in front." It's still enjoyable, but it would be better if some of the other flavors in the beer could come out more. Next time, I think I'll try cutting it back to 5ml. My 2 ounce bottle of extract is going to last a long time. :)

Back