oxygenating question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mozongo

Reaction score
For you brewers that use the o2 bottles in the fermenting process,how long a time do you put it to it?

I usually give it about a 60-90 second shot of O2. Maybe 2 full minutes if I'm doing a higher gravity brew, say above 1.070 OG.

John

ajf said:
90 - 120 seconds with the valve turned way down.

-a.

Yes, good point. I should have been more clear on that. I use the diffusion stone that is sold by Williams brewing. It comes attached to the end of a 22" stainless steel wand that makes it easy to put it where you want it. I only open the valve on the O2 tank until I just start to see some bubbling occurring on the surface of the wort. Anymore than just a bubbling on the surface and you are just wasting O2 into the atmoshere.

John

I run mine for about 2 minutes or until the foam is about to come out of my carboy. I let it rest a minute or two and hit it with 2 more minutes. Maybe overkill, but I have a big O2 bottle.

Back