Clinger Kölsch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Auspice

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 2565
Yeast Starter
No
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 @ 68
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 @ 40
Tasting Notes
Very easy drinking, subtle sweetness and a crisp, clean finish
6.5 lbs Pilsner Malt
1 lb Vienna Malt
.5 lb Honey Malt
1 oz Tettnang 60 min
.5 oz Hallertauer 60 min
.6 oz Hallertauer 10 min
1 Pkg Kölsch Yeast (Wyeast 2565)

I did a single infusion batch sparge mash @ 150F and kegged at 2.8 vols of CO2.

Posting my first recipe that I've ever been really proud of. This beer turned out exactly how I expected it and it was so popular with my family/friends that I just brewed a second batch since the first ran out in 3 weeks.

I've been brewing for over a year and this is the first one that I've been nearly perfectly contented with the results, mostly thanks to some support from my local homebrew club since I've very critical of my brewing. I managed to save a swing top growler full of the first batch that I plan to bottle and submit to some homebrew competitions.

The beer turned out very clear and had a subtle sweetness balanced nicely by the hops and a nice crisp and clean finish. VERY easy drinker which is partly why the damn thing got drank so fast.

I like this recipe for the simple fact that their isn't any wheat in it. I've been reading a lot about kolsch lately and it seems that wheat is acceptable but rarely used in Germany for Kolsch's. The last 3 Kolsch's I brewed had .5 lbs of wheat out of a 10 lb grain bill in them and swmbo thinks they are "too wheaty" I'm going to give this recipe a try next time I do a Kolsch. I may switch out the Vienna for Munich though.

Back