keg lube?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beergutguy

Reaction score
can one use vasaline instead? I figure if vasaline can go on a therometer to go up the um.. well you know, :eek:then it should be sanitary to use as a lube for kegs?

a lifetime supply of lube can be had for $4.5, and hot water will rinse it off.

https://morebeer.com/view_product/16030

3941.jpg

Got a tube of keg lube which i could not find and bought some vaseline, works great.

A poster in another thread stated that vaseline dissolves/breaks down rubber over time. Can anyone confirm or deny that from personal experience?

Also, is there any risk that if keg lube were to come into contact with your beer that it would kill head retention?

A poster in another thread stated that vaseline dissolves/breaks down rubber over time. Can anyone confirm or deny that from personal experience?

Yes, petroleum based lubricants (like vaseline) will eat away at rubber.

Use a silicone based libricant.

This is not based on personal experience, just common knowledge.

Also, is there any risk that if keg lube were to come into contact with your beer that it would kill head retention?

I don't think so. I am 100% positive that keg lube comes in contact with all of my beer because I have the stuff smeared all over the posts on my kegs, including the liquid out post.

Of all the brewing-related things you could save money on, I don't think keg lube is really a good one. As some others have said, given the amount you use a $3-$5 tube of keg lube will be enough to last for years.

Why you'd want to cheap out and use vaseline or KY or anything else is beyond my comprehension. You probably spend more on toothpaste, for crying out loud.

Of all the brewing-related things you could save money on, I don't think keg lube is really a good one. As some others have said, given the amount you use a $3-$5 tube of keg lube will be enough to last for years.

Why you'd want to cheap out and use vaseline or KY or anything else is beyond my comprehension. You probably spend more on toothpaste, for crying out loud.

My sarcasm is lost to you. Maybe somebody else will get it.

On a side note, Vaseline and KY cost the same as a tube of keg lube so you're not really saving any money.

but lets not forget keg lube, even if it is the same cost, it's DESIGNED for this application with zero ill-effects to the beer or soda. can hot water clean off vaseline? hell no, but if you have silicone o-rings, and don't mind the petroleum residues contacting your delicious labors you might be ok.

Standard Nitrile is also known as Buna-N. Excellent resistance to petroleum-based oils and fuels, water and alcohols. Nitrile also has good resistance to acids and bases, except those with a strong ox

So much for the Vaseline ruining your o rings.

My sarcasm is lost to you. Maybe somebody else will get it.

On a side note, Vaseline and KY cost the same as a tube of keg lube so you're not really saving any money.

Hmmmmmm.......Now I am wondering if I can use my Keg Lube on something else........

Back