Cloudy Peach Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew-boy

Reaction score
I just racked my peach mead from primary to secondary. I used 6 lbs of honey with 7lbs for fresh peaches for a 2.5 gallon batch. Even though I did use Pectic Enzyme this is very cloudy mead. Can anything be used to clear it?

Yes, definitely, it's called "time".

The purpose of a secondary is primarily for clearing.

While clearing it also ages some, mellows a lot, and blends into a great tasting nectar that you'd be willing, dare I say even proud to share. Right now it's just a cloudy, yeasty, nasty dishwater tasting bucket of scum water, but it'll improve in its own time. The longer you wait for it the better it'll be.

Just stop being impatient...learn to have 2-7 batches going at the same time to get the pipeline full then brew 2 for every batch you finish (empty). Works for me.

Every decent bottle of mead represents a considerable investment of time! Wait on that mead till you can read news print through the carboy, then you can bottle! Rack when lees are 1\8 to 1\4 inch and you will be glad you waited!

My last peach mead took about 6 months to settle out perfectly. The stuff just gets better with age.

Chalk me up for a vote on time.
I have a methgelin that's been in it's carboy for about 3 years.

Moving, Marriage, kids, packed away corkers and bottles, etc. They all help increase the time.

Back