Shipping damage recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k1v1116

Reaction score
So UPS beat the crap out of my package and a 12lbs bag of white wheat malt and a 8lbs bag of british pale burst and mixed together.
The grain is perfectly good but doesnt even come close to working in any of my recipes.
I'm looking for ideas that use 20lbs (60% wheat, 40%pale) of base grain, im flexible with specialty grains and hops and yeast so anything you can think of would be helpful.

I think im going to call this brew "F*** UPS"

Have you contacted UPS, or the vendor? Odds are good that one or the other will make things right. Everything shipped with UPS is automatically insured up to a value of $100.

Don't get me wrong, I certainly appreciate the spirit of this brew...and of course that grain cannot go to waste!

invent the new style of english wheat, we already have german and american styles.

2 batches - use a Hefe yeast in one and s-04 in the other, some english hops see what happens.

Add another 4 lbs of British Pale and then split into equal 12 lb batches. Brew one 50%/50% and then add some special B and carafa special III (for color) to make a dunkelweizen.

Or something...

That sounds like a perfect 10 gallon wheat beer to me. Mash low (150°F) and bitter with 10-12 IBUs of any noble hop, use WLP300 and you've got yourself a wonderful German Hefeweizen.

You could even use fuggle if you want to keep it british, it works great as a hefeweizen hop. :D

Or just brew a wheat beer that is out of style?!?

I'd imagine it would turn out to be a very drinkable summer brew, maybe not a best of show at a competition, but just fine none the less.

I don't see why it would be that out of style. I've used pale malt many times in hefeweizens and i sincerely doubt that all commercial brewers in germany use nothing but pale malt. Many add munich or vienna to add maltiness.

That being said, if you want something absolutely to style, just hop it up a bit more, use a neutral yeast, and make an american wheat.

Death...

My thoughts exactly!

Oh, what will I do with 60% wheat and 40% pale???? HEFFE!!!

WLP300 is a great yeast!

Seems like a simple solution to me.

I use Hallertau and Fuggle in my Hugh Heffe... I LOVE that beer.

Just playing around in Beersmith a bit, how about a saison? to be ready by summer. 10 gal, 75% eff.

Shipping Damage Saison

20# shipping mix (60/40 WW/BP) 87%
2# cane sugar (8.7%)
0.5# biscuit (2.2%)
0.5# aromatic (2.2%)

3oz Saaz@60
2oz Hallertauer@30
2oz Saaz@5
0.2oz Black Pepper@5
0.2ozp corrander@5

Mashed@149 for 90 mins
Fermented with a saison yeast, WLP566, 566, or 568

That or just lightly hop it and throw a wit yeast in there and call it good.

I don't see why it would be that out of style. I've used pale malt many times in hefeweizens and i sincerely doubt that all commercial brewers in germany use nothing but pale malt. Many add munich or vienna to add maltiness.

That being said, if you want something absolutely to style, just hop it up a bit more, use a neutral yeast, and make an american wheat.

I suppose your right, i was thinking of Pilsner as being to style but that may not be correct either. I don't really brew to style often.

I have contacted the vendor and Im sure they'll help me out but I doubt they want the mixed grain back so I need something to do with it anyway.

I did think of a wheat beer but the british pale is very different than german pils.
I got a vial of wlp380(hefe 4) with the order and a packet of us-04 I also have some notty, tons of cascades, and some fuggles so splitting the grains into two batches is a good idea.
I could also "donate" the grain to science and do two batches identically except for one variable and post the results.

I have contacted the vendor and Im sure they'll help me out but I doubt they want the mixed grain back so I need something to do with it anyway.

I did think of a wheat beer but the british pale is very different than german pils.
I got a vial of wlp380(hefe 4) with the order and a packet of us-04 I also have some notty, tons of cascades, and some fuggles so splitting the grains into two batches is a good idea.
I could also "donate" the grain to science and do two batches identically except for one variable and post the results.

Your one variable could be just attempting to get 50% of each grain into each brew ;)

so I think what I'll do is make 2 five gallon batches each with 6lbs wheat malt, 4lbs british pale, and 8oz chocolate malt some type of hallertau-ish hops and wlp380.
For the mash I will use the same temps and times for the rests but one will be a simple direct heated mash (this will keep the grist ratios the same since I dont have a RIMS setup) and the other a decoction. So I should have two good batches and some idea of how decoction will affect the flavor/body.

Back