Thermophilic and rennet, what now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FatDragon

Not actually a dragon.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a bottle of vegetable rennet and five packets of thermophilic C201 culture that I brought back to China from the US this summer. I've done a little bit of research on cheese making so far and have a couple basic ideas, and I will do some more research before I get started, but I'd like to hear from some people who have been where I am right now: what else do I need before I get started (cheesecloth, a mold of some kind, and maybe some calcium carbonate if my memory serves me?), and what might be a couple good starter recipes for a know-nothing like me with thermophilic culture?

If this is your first cheese, try asiago. It can be ready in as little as 2 months.
You could also make parmesan or Romano, but they will need to age a year.

You will need a cheese press and a place to store any of these at a suitable temperature and humidity.

Asiago is nice - sounds like a good decision.

Do you or anyone else know any details about what makes good cheese salt? I'm going to have to find something that fits the bill without necessarily carrying the name "Cheese salt" on the package. Other than being non-iodized, is there anything else I should focus on? What I'm finding for non-iodized salt so far is that there are super-cheap options that are advertised as "saltwater aquarium" or "foot soaking" or other similar non-edible use options, and then expensive options that are either culinary sea salts or specialty "nasal rinse" salts. I'm guessing the cheap stuff is not food grade, so does that mean it's out of contention?

Try to find pickling salt. You should be able to find it where they sell home canning stuff.

Try to find pickling salt. You should be able to find it where they sell home canning stuff.

Thanks, that's putting me on the right track. Actually, the place also has a coarse pickling salt that will be great for my ice cream freezer, where I've been using fine granulated salt for the last few years at the expense of time and money with every batch of ice cream, so looks like I might kill two birds with one stone.

Back